Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Will - A new angle on an old debate
Free Will - A new angle on an old debate
http://now.dartmouth.edu/2013/03/neurosc...free-will/

Interesting, IMO.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
RE: Free Will - A new angle on an old debate
It doesn't say there is free will, it just says deterministic will is determined in a more complicated way then previously assumed.

[Image: Yawn.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(June 11, 2013 at 3:41 pm)Chuck Wrote: It doesn't say there is free will, it just says deterministic will is determined in a more complicated way then previously assumed.

I think - and I admit I've not read the book yet but I have read a more detailed article in this months New Scientist - that he's suggesting there is conscious influence over the synaptic reweighting in memory retrieval.

The idea seems to be that there is a conscious setting up of the memory filters that will ultimately lead to (modified) action. It's a variant of CAS Theory - RP leads to conscious action that influences RP - some kind of feedback interference, and somewhere in this interference is where 'Free Will' exists.

The problem is that all this does is beg the question what potential drives the conscious decision to set those filters, which takes us back to square one. There's not enough in the articles to see if he's answered that.

I'm not convinced, I just thought it was interesting.

MM

(June 11, 2013 at 5:27 pm)apophenia Wrote:
[Image: Yawn.jpg]

Revision Spark notes $19.99
Multi-Pack of 100 Pro-Plus Caffeine Pills $15.99
Diarrhea in the middle of your Philosophy exam - Priceless

"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heated debate on evolution with brother MyelinSheath 182 42949 May 7, 2017 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why Debate a Teenager? Goosebump 16 3805 April 25, 2016 at 11:10 am
Last Post: Aegon
  Scientific Debate: Why I assert that Darwin's theory of evolution is false Rob216 206 36232 November 10, 2014 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Free Will, Free Won't? ManMachine 54 11637 September 27, 2013 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  15 Year old Finds New way to Diagnose Cancer AtheistCreed 3 1788 September 27, 2013 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Flying in the face of the organic debate Justtristo 1 1545 April 24, 2013 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger