Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you do in court?
What do you do in court?
If an atheist were to be called to a court and asked to swear on a Bible, what are the options for that person? Other than simply doing it to avoid complications.
RE: What do you do in court?
I believe you can ask to be sworn in without a holy book. If you're Jewish you can request a Torah. Muslim, a Koran. Etc.
You could always place 1 hand on the book, reel it back pretending like it burned. Then You have to roll your eyes back in your head while chanting in demontongue. Some old ladies might faint though.

Oh, and get some tongue flickering and a bit of drooling going on too.
(June 20, 2013 at 9:05 pm)festive1 Wrote: I believe you can ask to be sworn in without a holy book. If you're Jewish you can request a Torah. Muslim, a Koran. Etc.

What about someone who does not believe in a holy book?
(June 20, 2013 at 9:16 pm)callahan24 Wrote:
(June 20, 2013 at 9:05 pm)festive1 Wrote: I believe you can ask to be sworn in without a holy book. If you're Jewish you can request a Torah. Muslim, a Koran. Etc.

See the first line of my reply. No book needed, I think.
It depends. If you are the defendant, by all means, leave your imprint on the Bible and swear to tell the truth. Whether you actually tell the truth or not is immaterial. You don't want to give the jury, which statistically is almost 80% Christian, an excuse to hate you regardless of the facts of litigation.

Not let your heart be troubled. People purjure themselves all the time. 80% of purjurers are also Christian and they believe in the text. I suggest you tell the truth under oath because, it's honorable, right, and just. The title of the book under your hand doesn't mean a damn.

Swearing on the Bible is meaningless bullshit, tradition; otherwise, a Christian wouldn't lie in court.
(June 20, 2013 at 9:16 pm)callahan24 Wrote:

They can "affirm" that they will tell the truth and leave all the god shit out of it.

BTW, I wish they had 17 more skaters like Cally.
I had to do precisely this back in 2010 at the Coroner's Court, after the coroner's inquest to determine the cause of my poor sweet Sam's death. I had no problems with doing so, other than the obvious ones about actually having to be there at all of course.

Incidentally, the verdict was "sudden unexpected death due to epilepsy", basically legalese for "we don't have a fucking clue but we need something to put on the death certificate".

(June 20, 2013 at 9:16 pm)callahan24 Wrote: What about someone who does not believe in a holy book?

As far as I'm concerned, it's like someone blessing me when I sneeze, or invoking a deity during sex (I have a long memory). It's just a thing that is done. I don't actually believe that the book has any magic powers to force me to tell the truth or whatever the symbolism means; it's merely a formality.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
BTW, I've served on juries and testified at hearings in NY and the court officer always just said "Will you swear or affirm....yada, yada, yada." I don't recall him holding any fucking bible.
(June 20, 2013 at 9:46 pm)cato123 Wrote: It depends. If you are the defendant, by all means, leave your imprint on the Bible and swear to tell the truth. Whether you actually tell the truth or not is immaterial. You don't want to give the jury, which statistically is almost 80% Christian, an excuse to hate you regardless of the facts of litigation.
If you're the defendant, you probably shouldn't be testifying at all. But if you are, you can have an affirmation arranged beforehand so you don't have to go through the "I'm an atheist" stuff in the middle of open court.
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supreme Court Rules Taxpayers Must Fund Religious Schools Duty 17 1539 July 2, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Fight religion in court verbral 19 2033 November 1, 2016 at 11:07 am
Last Post: brewer
  Australian High Court rules against public school chaplains Justtristo 24 9269 July 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Polaris