Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
supreme court strikes down, 5-4, part of the Voting Rights Act
supreme court strikes down, 5-4, part of the Voting Rights Act
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/news/supreme...05218.html

I'm not sure what to think. I guess just wait and see. Maybe the law is archaic now. Heck, hopefully it is. Times have changed since then. Racism still exists, for sure, but it presents differently.

Let's see how this goes.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: supreme court strikes down, 5-4, part of the Voting Rights Act
No, the thinking of conservatives is what is archaic. Watch the assault on minority voters across jesusland to see.
Fuck progress, we're ready to move back 50 years.

Conservative bastards...
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(June 25, 2013 at 11:02 am)c172 Wrote: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/news/supreme...05218.html

I'm not sure what to think. I guess just wait and see. Maybe the law is archaic now. Heck, hopefully it is. Times have changed since then. Racism still exists, for sure, but it presents differently.

Let's see how this goes.

That's about my stance. Even people who are racist go out of their way to avoid the appearance of racism nowadays. I mean, look how the Republican party hoisted Herman Cain up on that pedistal, even while he was vastly underqualified for the position of president.

That being said, the states in question are all in the south. The Republican party has been the one pushing for voter ID laws (which would futher disenfranchise minority voters) and they have solid control over the southern states. I don't doubt for a second that they're going to try to do whatever they can to institute those laws in those states.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Quote:Sen. Chuck Schumer, Democrat from New York, said in a statement that "as long as Republicans have a majority in the House and Democrats don't have 60 votes in the Senate, there will be no preclearance."

That pretty much sums up the situation. Sad
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

(June 25, 2013 at 12:47 pm)TaraJo Wrote:
(June 25, 2013 at 11:02 am)c172 Wrote: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/news/supreme...05218.html

Let's see how this goes.

That's about my stance. Even people who are racist go out of their way to avoid the appearance of racism nowadays. I mean, look how the Republican party hoisted Herman Cain up on that pedistal, even while he was vastly underqualified for the position of president.

That being said, the states in question are all in the south. The Republican party has been the one pushing for voter ID laws (which would futher disenfranchise minority voters) and they have solid control over the southern states. I don't doubt for a second that they're going to try to do whatever they can to institute those laws in those states.

I wasn't too happy at first that certain (read: southern) states were being singled out, but as the morning went on, I remembered that states' rights (read: states' uniqueness) is a huge part of who we are in America, and it's good that that is still respected.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is "Be the part of the change you want to see in the world!" bullshit? FlatAssembler 45 2110 February 3, 2024 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1026 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Compulsory Voting BrianSoddingBoru4 132 10045 December 28, 2022 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Fireball
  What you think of USA voting system? Woah0 10 936 August 17, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Innocence is not enough for the Supreme Court... Rev. Rye 7 521 May 27, 2022 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Attack on voting Spongebob 103 6795 August 18, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  We The People Act onlinebiker 48 2504 March 6, 2021 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Navalny’s speech from court Fake Messiah 3 247 February 5, 2021 at 5:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The electors are voting right now. Gawdzilla Sama 18 1124 December 15, 2020 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why you should fear Trump's pick for Supreme Court Judge Foxaèr 75 4242 October 31, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: TaraJo