Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a god?
What is a god?
How do you define "god"?

What are the minimum requirements for an entity to be called a god?
Immortality?
Omniscience?
Omni-something?

PS: this has probably been done to death in these forums, but I didn't notice it in the past year that I've been around... and the search function didn't yield anything... so let's reboot it!
RE: What is a god?
A god is something alot of people use as an excuse for their arrogant descriminatory bigotry. It usually fits their own mindset.
My definition of "god" is simple:
Omniscient
Omnipotent
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
Mythical
Truly Fake!
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
A god is what ancient peoples used to explain why the world was the way it was, and to explain natural events like natural disasters. Unfortunately some of those people learned that if they spoke for this god they could have incredible power over their fellow man. Don't want people to have random, indiscriminate sex? Tell them that STD's are your god's divine punishment for enjoying their naughty bits. As time goes on, continue to make god in your image.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
hmmm... what about greek, norse, egyptian, etc. gods?
What makes each of them a god?
I believe a god would simply be a conscious and intelligent creator of the universe with characteristics usually being although not required such as, omniscient,omnipotent and, omnibenevolent. I believe in order for something to be a god it would have to be a creator of the universe or control a part of nature and required to possess consciousness and intellect to be a god.
Religion is when your brain is high on stupidity.
Keeping 'small g' gods in mind, I would say a very long-lived being with superhuman powers that is or was worshiped or placated and that is identified with one or more aspects of nature, humanity, or society. This allows for gods that are depicted as growing old (like Marduk) or being killed (like Baldur) but distinguishes them from most supernatural creatures, although there is some overlap with lesser spirits like demons of disease that are placated with offerings.
There are no gods. If there are "supernatural" beings out there, then they are only supernatural by own definitions because we don't understand how they operate. The fact is, though they may be powerful, they probably are still not "gods".

If the One God of Islam, Christianity and Judaism were to really exist, I still wouldn't worship him/her, and that's because I still wouldn't view that being as a God. I have reason to believe that particular deity is evil, and I would oppose it as such.

"Q" from Star Trek: The Next Generation is a good example of an Omnipotent being with a true God-like presence, as humans today understand it. However, the show made it very clear that such a being should not be worshiped as a god, nor should it be considered thus.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19397 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie