Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As if there weren't any examples of religion being used to oppress in America...
Thumbs Down 
As if there weren't any examples of religion being used to oppress in America...
Brian Sims, Pennsylvania Lawmaker, Silenced On DOMA By Colleagues Citing 'God's Law': http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27...ef=topbarn Arrgghh
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
RE: As if there weren't any examples of religion being used to oppress in America...
Because that evil gay person was about to oppress the poor, helpless Christians.

Seriously, how the hell does this even work? I suppose the Pennsylvania constitution has some provision about "God's Law" or something, but this is yet another reason that religion and government should be separated. If they're going to use this to prevent someone from speaking out about SC rulings on homosexuality, then what's to keep them from using it to prevent debate on anything else?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
RE: As if there weren't any examples of religion being used to oppress in America...
There's nothing more dangerous than a politician that claims to know, and feel he has the right to implement, god's law.
I don't know whether to be shocked or just depressed over this. Fuck them and their "god's law". Separation of church and state? What the hell is that?
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
This is why they're called the American Taliban.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
You know, this is why I get embarrassed telling foreigners that I'm an American. Shit like this is the first thing that's going to pop into their head.
Yep. My nephew is going to college and he knows a lot of students from other countries, and the one thing that freaks them out is how religious this country is.
You see, jesus, being an inept fuck, needs to be protected from ridicule by jackbooted Pennsylvania lawmakers.

Some fucking god he is.
The behavior of the supposed leaders of this country make me want to not live in this country. My only consolation, though it will be more than worth it, is the slow realization that the younger generation is overwhelmingly more liberal than it has been in the past and the Republitards will finally be put in their places.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 28, 2013 at 3:16 am)AthiestAtheist Wrote: Brian Sims, Pennsylvania Lawmaker, Silenced On DOMA By Colleagues Citing 'God's Law': http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27...ef=topbarn Arrgghh

When these fucks start shutting down Red Lobster's across the nation is when I'll start thinking of them as anything more than hypocritical bigots.

Also, Rep. Daryl Metcalfe needs to die in a fire.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live? TaraJo 41 3940 July 16, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  America. Worse than North Korea. deepend 195 7581 March 26, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 7425 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3131 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  The Republican America Foxaèr 19 1153 November 23, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Make America Nice Again Secular Elf 53 3844 November 9, 2020 at 6:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] The Mental Illness Crisis in America T.J. 9 1148 August 19, 2019 at 12:03 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Anyone Else in America See Your Taxes Go Up? DeistPaladin 17 2366 April 12, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  ISIS is the Sauds. The Sauds own ISIS. It's America's cold war gift. WinterHold 15 6498 February 5, 2019 at 4:14 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Essex (UK) village used in 'appalling' Trump candidate advert Duty 21 1695 November 1, 2018 at 6:12 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia