Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USA and it's fascination with religion
USA and it's fascination with religion
Okay, as you all probably know America is absurdly religious, almost as bad as the theocracies in the Middle East. This is highlighted by Ex-Pres G.W. Bush's fanaticism over his delusion...err i mean faith.

In my opinion America is easily similar to 'Backwards' countries such as Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.

So my question is why are most Americans stuck in a religiocentric view of the world?. i.e that they must follow the word of Jesus Christ and the Bible.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
RE: USA and it's fascination with religion
Agreed. (to some extent) and I dunno why.

Maybe idiocracy is contagious.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
I think the US flavour of religion is a completely different beast to that found in the east. Embarrassingly ridiculous in the main IMO. Pete Owen-Jones did a series on world faiths on UK TV recently and concluded that the US was the least religious of all, and from his presentation I'd have to agree. The only merit he found was in the Burning Man festival.

So not absurdly religious.. more absurd religion.
(September 19, 2009 at 4:36 pm)Shinylight Wrote: Okay, as you all probably know America is absurdly religious, almost as bad as the theocracies in the Middle East. This is highlighted by Ex-Pres G.W. Bush's fanaticism over his delusion...err i mean faith.

In my opinion America is easily similar to 'Backwards' countries such as Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.

So my question is why are most Americans stuck in a religiocentric view of the world?. i.e that they must follow the word of Jesus Christ and the Bible.

I agree. I see two reasons: failiure of the education system and anti-intellectualism (Scientific thoughts and self-inquiry aren't encouraged enough or at all by the state, popular culture glorifies or at least tolerates ignorance).
[Image: pPQu8.png]
Quote:So my question is why are most Americans stuck in a religiocentric view of the world?

We have a lot of stupid people. Beware of the power of stupid people in large groups.
Shineylight,

YAY a fellow believer in the IPU(BBHH)

Dotard,

Brawndo has electrolytes, it's what plants crave!

Rhizo
Yes Minimalist you are right. America is full of stupid people. I'm not sure if it's as bad as the middle east as far as religion goes, but it's damn close.
There are 3 churches within 5 blocks of my house. WTF?
binnyCoffee
(September 19, 2009 at 9:11 pm)binny Wrote: Yes Minimalist you are right. America is full of stupid people. I'm not sure if it's as bad as the middle east as far as religion goes, but it's damn close.
There are 3 churches within 5 blocks of my house. WTF?

Full of ? Not in my experience. In fact I don't think I've ever actually met any truly stupid Americans. However,if you mean crass,pig ignorant and terrifyingly jingositic,that's a different kettle of fish entirely.

America is the only country I've ever been where the natives insist on telling you that theirs is the greatest country on earth. OK, I'll concede America is far too good for most Americans, but hardly the greatest country. Any Aussie school child will tell you that honour goes to Australia.Cool Shades

Close to the Middle east in religosity? Just at wild guess. But would I be right in assuming you've never actually visited a Middle Eastern theocracy or even a SE Asian country in which Islam is the dominant faith? I base this rash conclusion on the belief that if you had you might be less inclined to make such a fatuous generalisation.Angel
(September 19, 2009 at 9:11 pm)binny Wrote: There are 3 churches within 5 blocks of my house. WTF?

I was counting ours last night - we have 12 (UK Wales)
I have about 3 or 4 but not within 5 blocks though...more like "down the road a little bit" lol
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Atheism in the USA Diablo 13 2633 August 5, 2014 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16583 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
  Is Atheism very mainstream in USA nowadays compared to, "for example" Europe Cyberdreams(Wink) 14 4186 September 4, 2013 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72