Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-belief Research Study Completed
Non-belief Research Study Completed
The study has been completed.

http://www.atheismresearch.com/

[Image: index_clip_image002.jpg]

Quote:If prejudice continues to exist towards atheists in general, one source may stem from the perceived negative experiences by religious people interacting with a very small sub-segment of the overall population of non-believers, mainly the Anti-Theists. In other words, our research showed over 85% of the non-believers sampled to be more or less your “average Joe” when it came to being “angry, argumentative and dogmatic”, they fall right in line with current societal norms, nothing strange here - sorry non-believers, you’re pretty normal when it comes to being psychologically well-adjusted.

It is also important to recognize that the “angry, argumentative and dogmatic” vignette,as used here, does not mean that these Anti-Theists don’t have a right to be any of these things or that they are not even proper psychological responses when recontextualized in light of the Anti-Theists’ life experiences to date. For example, many of the Antitheist typology had responded as recently deconverted from religious belief or socially displeased with the status quo, especially in high social tension-based geographies such as the Southeastern United States. If we engage in a small thought experiment by taking on the perspective of a recent deconvert from a religious tradition (many times a very conservative one) to atheism, it may be easy to see how this small sub segment is, and perhaps deserves to be, angry and argumentative after having previously accepted a worldview at odds with their current beliefs, or lack there-of, especially in areas of the country where high social tension exists between believers and non-believers in general.

It is very important to recognize that these comparisons are being made only within “non-belief”. In other words, these results are not juxtaposed alongside “believers” or any subset of population that identifies as “religious” and therefore no conclusions or empirical inferences can be currently draw as to how the two groups, or rather sub segments of the two groups might stack up against each other. Certainly additional research should explore these typologies in relation to believers to see if such conclusions can hold true for outside perceptions.

Unfortunately, I never completed the study because I began to find many of the questions to be rather tedious.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Non-belief Research Study Completed
Of those categories, I guess I would most likely categorize myself as an activist, though I'm at least somewhat of an anti-theist.
I read this entire article and found it very fascinating. My wife and I shared our views, and it looks like I am mostly a Type 1 Academic, while she is Type 5 Non-Theist. Very interesting indeed.
how is an atheist a non-believer?

"i do not believe gods exist" is a belief

now if you put the definition of non-believer in the agnostic category that would make sense because they have no belief.

ya im a shit disturber, nice that people are doing studies tho, too bad the bias is so hypocritical...

angry and argumentative do not go together by the way, debate is a healthy part of an elective-representative system. somebody that wants you to take their word for it (dictator/tyrant) would criticize you for arguing their ideas.

'atheism' as a culture, not the idea, is being indoctrinated... heads up
(July 20, 2013 at 2:41 pm)christcahinkilla Wrote: how is an atheist a non-believer?

"i do not believe gods exist" is a belief

now if you put the definition of non-believer in the agnostic category that would make sense because they have no belief.

ya im a shit disturber, nice that people are doing studies tho, too bad the bias is so hypocritical...

angry and argumentative do not go together by the way, debate is a healthy part of an elective-representative system. somebody that wants you to take their word for it (dictator/tyrant) would criticize you for arguing their ideas.

'atheism' as a culture, not the idea, is being indoctrinated... heads up

There is no need to infect other threads with that revolting garbage that swirls through your disgusting little head.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3108 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1867 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Help me with my research! rjam099 10 893 May 10, 2023 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2873 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5586 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81471 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5240 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22176 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  "No born believers" says new study. Gawdzilla Sama 1 1237 November 9, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious