Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religions and Prayer, The Scientific Method, and Logical Holes
Religions and Prayer, The Scientific Method, and Logical Holes
I am sure you've all heard of the Comedy Jesus Show, Fox "News". The show is a for-profit, consumerist mouthpiece for the Christian Dominionist Church, as well as a 24/7 Republican political ad. With that in mind, it is no surprise that we get to hear this piece of superstitious nonsense from Ol' Rupert and his band of crackpot "reporters": Airplane turbulence proves God exists. If you pray to God, he/she/they/it will save your life and stop the turbulence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWh3GzPwBRY

Now, you may have heard similar stories to the one above. I once had a Baptist friend, Alex who was having altercations with his younger brother, who had decided to run away from home. Alex, of course, was very worried about his younger brother, Eric. So he prayed for him, and the next day Eric came back home.

Now, of course, Alex says this is direct evidence that God exists; in response to his prayer, his loved one came home. Christian callers on the Atheist Experience have told similar stories.

But while his story in very touching, there is only one problem with the above arguments: They are both inconsistent with the Scientific Method. When testing a hypothesis, the conclusions have to follow from the premises, so let's map this out (use the first scenario).

1) Woman is a self-admitted Agnostic, who is not sure whether God exists.
2) She is riding on a plane, which starts to experience air turbulence.
3) She prays to god to have it stopped.
4) The turbulence suddenly stops.
----
Conclusion: Therefore, God exists and he/she/it/they will help you if you pray.

Thinking

Now, one can see the huge logical hole there: You haven't proved causation. In fact, it is nothing more than a coincidence that both the turbulence stopped, and Eric came home. The turbulence would have ceased and Eric would have come home whether or not these people prayed. If you talked to a meteorologist or climate scientist, I am sure he or she could give you a perfectly logical, scientific explanation as to why the turbulence stopped, devoid of divine intervention. While I do not know precisely why Eric decided to come home (this was a long time ago), I am quite certain that God did not float down from the heavens and told Eric to return to his dear family who loves him. The prayers in the above examples are 100% adventitious.

Also, before we end, let's read this excerpt from a book I'm reading, entitled The Science of Evolution and the Myth of Creationism:

Here's something we should all recognize: in today's world, not knowing at least the basic facts and evidence of evolution leaves you vulnerable to being prayed upon by those people who stand to benefit from promoting mass ignorance and superstition.

This thread is not about evolution, but the same lesson goes for the above situations, as well as similar ones.

Wacky
RE: Religions and Prayer, The Scientific Method, and Logical Holes
Grasping at straws. If this is their best argument for God's existence then it just further confirms my nonbelief.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
RE: Religions and Prayer, The Scientific Method, and Logical Holes
(July 17, 2013 at 10:18 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Grasping at straws. If this is their best argument for God's existence then it just further confirms my nonbelief.

Hopefully Fox "News" will continue to confirm peoples' non belief.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijA5QGF7e6c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVOSC82tMsQ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 961 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  On the lunacy of prayer slartibartfast 100 5704 October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 7793 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  The absurd need for logical proofs for God R00tKiT 225 14232 December 31, 2020 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1851 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A prayer to God ... ignoramus 10 1051 May 3, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2781 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Question about prayer. purplepurpose 27 5703 October 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Religions Role in Social Movements, Essential or Accidental? Neo-Scholastic 17 3487 October 4, 2018 at 3:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 11137 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue