Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The main reasons why I'm atheist
The main reasons why I'm atheist
My move towards atheism has been slow but I have carefully thought out each step away I took away. I am one of those former christians that had a bad experience with christian folk. I encountered some really arrogant and rude people who used god every chance they got as the excuse to justify why they mistreated me or did something really mean or rroganrt to someone. But that is not why I left christianity for atheism. I am a natural thinker and question things, So I began to think and question a lot of things in christianity and these are the problems I have with it. If you would like to comment or add your problems in reply that is fine. I am open to all points of view.

1. The bible is suposed to be the word of god and he was to have inspired the various writers to write things down. The tooth fairy inspired me to write this post. Obviously I am being saracstic to make a point that god is fictional just like the tooth fairy and its absrd to say a fictional charcter can inspire some one to write. Seems to me like the writers wrote fiction just like any other author did. Its a fact that the most of the new testament and old testament and new testament were written after those events happened, how do we know that those things really happened. None of use were there and there were no recording devices back them. Christians say that what in the new testament when Jesus spoke were his words? How do we know those were his words without a recording device? Anyone could have written those words. Until jesus himself tells me that that was what he really said and god really did inspire the writers of the bible I will not believe.

2. All christian denominations claim to right and have the correct interpration of the bible. Just who is right, I dont think anyone is. Anyone can interpret the bible anyway they want and give meaning to any passage they want. Over the centuries, the bible was been misused and misquoted to justify slavery and now its being used to jusify hatred by chrisrians toward homosexuality.

3. It is a known fact that christianty took other ancient myths about gods and goddesses and made then their own. They just changed the names of the dieties to god and jesus or even made up names for other pagan myths. So my conclusion is christianty is a myth based on other myths.

I have may other problems with christianity but these are the main ones. I also hold to many of the same views about scientific eveidence that many others here may have as well. Science to me is much more concrete than what some book says
RE: Mthe main reasons why I'm atheist
So,

Questioning the bible and realizing that it probably isn't "God Breathed" check! (You even mention the New Testament twice lol)

Seeing different interpretations of God's perfect word manifest in different sects of Christianity check!

Noticing that religion seems to operate off of borrowed property from previous religions check! (Much like science really, without the experiments and peer review. Also, science pays respect to those that came before.)

Pretty standard stuff really; where is the part where you have unique reasons to be atheist? You mentioned that you have different reasons than most atheists and I was curious to know what they were. Your list disapoints. Tongue Smile

I am an atheist because it is part of God's plan and he made me that way! Wink

Rhizo
RE: The main reasons why I'm atheist
Interesting response to the 'all part of God's plan' argument ^_^ I will be sure to use that one next time the situation presents itself Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
It IS a great way to annoy people and end an argument! I would strongly suggest NOT using it at all if you plan on being taken serious.

Since I got your attention, which of your two choices make you a criminal?

Rhizo
(October 1, 2009 at 3:20 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: So,

Questioning the bible and realizing that it probably isn't "God Breathed" check! (You even mention the New Testament twice lol)

Seeing different interpretations of God's perfect word manifest in different sects of Christianity check!

Noticing that religion seems to operate off of borrowed property from previous religions check! (Much like science really, without the experiments and peer review. Also, science pays respect to those that came before.)

Pretty standard stuff really; where is the part where you have unique reasons to be atheist? You mentioned that you have different reasons than most atheists and I was curious to know what they were. Your list disapoints. Tongue Smile

I am an atheist because it is part of God's plan and he made me that way! Wink

Rhizo
Well, I thought they were unique. But there is one that might be a little on the more unique side.
If God was to have created this universe and all the stars and planets etc. Why would he just make one planet that is inhabitable and them create man on that planet? Why did he supposedly create an entire universe with planets that are incapable of sustaining life at all except for earth?
Sorry that ones pretty common too, there's even a motivational for it.

http://www.scottklarr.com/topic/453/coll...l-posters/

It's the third one down.

I don't think that many atheists have particularly rare reasons for losing or not having faith. though I did see one cute (if flawed) argument from a theist.

Went something like: "atheisim is flawed, you can tell because the word isn't even spelled right. The e comes before the I."

Which of course, is also how theisim is spelled.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
Awesome. They included the one I made for a Friendly Atheist competition:

[Image: atheism_motivational_poster_11.jpg]
I agree. Your reason isn't all that unique, but it really doesn't matter. You have reached the age of reasonBig Grin
binnyCoffee
Always better to question then to live in ignorant bliss. Smile
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
(October 1, 2009 at 11:40 pm)Retorth Wrote: Always better to question then to live in ignorant bliss. Smile

Absolutely

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 84240 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Here are 5 big reasons why Americans are turning away from religion — according to sc Minimalist 3 1523 January 25, 2017 at 9:43 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  11 reasons god doesn't exist. Braveheart 43 72594 November 30, 2016 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Cyrinistar
  Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe. emjay 564 63571 July 9, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Lucifer
  Reasons for God solarwave 144 70109 May 20, 2016 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  What if the main propose of the church is to cover a pedophile ring? Lemonvariable72 9 3727 May 4, 2014 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
Bug Possibly the worst list of reasons in the world. GuidingYewty 16 3958 January 11, 2014 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: azheathen
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11543 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  The Reasons to Believe in Yahweh median 47 22352 December 15, 2012 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: median
  Is one of the reasons people believe in God is a need for a father figure? hoppimike 20 11535 June 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone