Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Consciousness
Consciousness
"It's very likely that most mammals have consciousness, and probably birds, too."
Richard Dawkins

How might one go about to prove that?
RE: Consciousness
By watching an animal for more than 30 seconds, I suppose.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Have you ever had a dog? Cat? Any pet?

You have your answer right there.
Any spelling mistakes are due to my godlessness!
(September 8, 2013 at 12:26 pm)ITChick Wrote: Have you ever had a dog? Cat? Any pet?

You have your answer right there.

My question is, how does one prove that animals have consciousness. How does watching a pet prove that they are conscious?

What is consciousness? How do we know what it is? How does one prove consciousness? How does one prove that animals have it?

What would the method be for finding out? If I wrote a scientific article about it I wouldn't simply write "watch a dog."
In my opinion, consciousness is when you can think outside of what you want or how things relate to you. I also think that symbolism is a good indicator of consciousness.
Consciousness is the the state of being awake and aware of one's surroundings. Refer to my last post in this topic.

If they could communicate and We could translate that information into something We understand, animals could inform us that they think creatively.

If an animal has a sense of autonomy that can be proven, I would agree with them having a conscious.
(September 8, 2013 at 1:27 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: Consciousness is the the state of being awake and aware of one's surroundings. Refer to my last post in this topic.

Is consciousness all three: awake, aware and surroundings?

For example when a person is asleep and dreaming, he/she may be aware of his/her surroundings in the dream, but is that consciousness?
(September 8, 2013 at 1:47 pm)Max_Kolbe Wrote:
(September 8, 2013 at 1:27 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: Consciousness is the the state of being awake and aware of one's surroundings. Refer to my last post in this topic.

Is consciousness all three: awake, aware and surroundings?

For example when a person is asleep and dreaming, he/she may be aware of his/her surroundings in the dream, but is that consciousness?

You are not aware of your surroundings when you are asleep. Your awareness of your dream self inside of your own dreams is expected and irrelvant.

(September 8, 2013 at 12:12 pm)Max_Kolbe Wrote: "It's very likely that most mammals have consciousness, and probably birds, too."
Richard Dawkins

How might one go about to prove that?

Given that we are mammals, the less extravagant assumption is that the quality of consciousness experienced by other mammals would be substantially similar to our own. So barring any conclusive evidence on either side that would be the more reasonable assumption.

Of course, it is likely that no other mammal or bird engages in discursive thought using symbolic language. Then again it isn't entirely clear whether that is an advantage or loss for us. Probably it is both.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Random Steam-Of-Consciousness Bullshit Nonsense Thread Edwardo Piet 26 2100 September 13, 2016 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: c172