Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To speak or not to speak?
To speak or not to speak?
Over and over, time and again I hear or read things from people that royally piss me off.

Just the other day, I was getting off the ferry and overheard the two young men walking behind me badmouthing secular morality and that atheism was stupid. It took all of my energy not to spin around and take a stance in front of those men, but I was meeting someone and my son was with me. Not a good time to debate, but boy did I want to.

I have a "friend" on Facebook who is an Eastern Orthodox Christian. He and I don't get along well, but he is an old high school friend so I don't delete him. However, he sure likes to praise the perfection of his faith and the stupidity of atheism. I debated him once on FB, and he went frantic. It was obvious that I was winning, and breaking him, but my sense of morals kicked in and I stopped the debate right then and there. I gave a hefty apology and promised never to debate him on Facebook again. I don't believe I have the right to de-convert anyone that doesn't want to.

Just today, my FB friend put a link to some Orthodox blog that explains how stupid atheism is. I was so tempted to slap a link to a pro-atheist, anti-Christian essay I know of, but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't bring myself down to his level. I sure wanted to, but I had promised myself no more Facebook debates.

So, basically, I have told myself (using my "inferior" morals) to keep my debating to this forum. But god-be-damned, it sure is hard to stay calm and reasonable when I keep hearing and reading so much anti-atheist bullshit! I'd love to take down these haters, but I just don't think it's my place to. No one has the right to impose their beliefs upon another, IMO.

I wonder if the Christians will ever learn that? Thinking
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
RE: To speak or not to speak?
I do not mind imposing my point of view onto others who publicly display their own points of view online. Then, I do not much care for whether the other individual is negatively affected by what I have to state either. It is the internet, for goodness' sake. I am not going to remain silent and have my point of view ridiculed because someone may feel hurt by something I state online. It is not my responsibility to tread lightly around the ignorant because they are too weak to handle the truth.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 16, 2013 at 6:56 pm)Beta Ray Bill Wrote: Over and over, time and again I hear or read things from people that royally piss me off.

Just the other day, I was getting off the ferry and overheard the two young men walking behind me badmouthing secular morality and that atheism was stupid. It took all of my energy not to spin around and take a stance in front of those men, but I was meeting someone and my son was with me. Not a good time to debate, but boy did I want to.

I have a "friend" on Facebook who is an Eastern Orthodox Christian. He and I don't get along well, but he is an old high school friend so I don't delete him. However, he sure likes to praise the perfection of his faith and the stupidity of atheism. I debated him once on FB, and he went frantic. It was obvious that I was winning, and breaking him, but my sense of morals kicked in and I stopped the debate right then and there. I gave a hefty apology and promised never to debate him on Facebook again. I don't believe I have the right to de-convert anyone that doesn't want to.

Just today, my FB friend put a link to some Orthodox blog that explains how stupid atheism is. I was so tempted to slap a link to a pro-atheist, anti-Christian essay I know of, but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't bring myself down to his level. I sure wanted to, but I had promised myself no more Facebook debates.

So, basically, I have told myself (using my "inferior" morals) to keep my debating to this forum. But god-be-damned, it sure is hard to stay calm and reasonable when I keep hearing and reading so much anti-atheist bullshit! I'd love to take down these haters, but I just don't think it's my place to. No one has the right to impose their beliefs upon another, IMO.

I wonder if the Christians will ever learn that? Thinking

Sometimes life sucks so bad you just want to explode (not Islamically).

But I sympathize with your frustrations.

Those people are just brainwashed and uneducated, the only way to fix their problem is to sit them down in elementary school with a good educational system and start over from the beginning. This, of course, would require at least 12 years of schooling, and who has time for all of that?

I suspect that the current model for society is intended to keep people religious and brainwashed, so that we will not run short of low wage workers, essentially slaves... It's quite unethical but that is how the powers want it. Until we have an alternative that is strong enough to gain momentum and overrun them, the big money will not allow the education systems to pop out a generation of free-thinking atheists.
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” - Marcus Aurelius
If they aren't concerned about obnoxiously spouting off their views, why should you? You can't coerce beliefs, anyway. Either you, or they, see merit in the opposing person's argument, or you don't.

AtheistCreed- Lol. Whut?
(September 16, 2013 at 6:56 pm)Beta Ray Bill Wrote: 1.

I would've said something if you weren't with your son or going to see someone. Not even as an atheist, just as someone who knows that nobody's belief system should be ridiculed so publicly.

Quote:2.

Right move.

Quote:3.

I'd delete that guy. No reason to start things over the internet. That's dumb.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

I mainly don't debate religions but I debate the religious way of thinking. The issue for me is not to make people atheists but to make them accept human rights and the secular state. This made me not losing my liberal theist friends who are against bigotry and extremism and are supporters of a secular country.
* Illusion is a big world ... and the world is a bigger illusion.
* Try to live happy ... try to make others live happy.
Quote:I wonder if the Christians will ever learn that?

No. They will not. Obnoxious motherfuckers never think they are being obnoxious.
If someone feels the need to open their mouths and spew bullshit, I have never had a problem with pointing out the flaws in said person's bullshit, online or in real life. I'll sometimes let it go if it's not the proper time or place to get into a heated debate, but the internet was practically invented for that. It's probably a good thing I don't use facebook, because my parents would see me verbally bitch-slapping people left and right.

Stupidity is fair game, especially in a public forum. And the more vociferous it is, the ruder the reality check they deserve. That's my philosophy.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Quote:Sometimes life sucks so bad you just want to explode (not Islamically).

May You explode with a rep point for saying that.
(September 16, 2013 at 7:04 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: If they aren't concerned about obnoxiously spouting off their views, why should you? You can't coerce beliefs, anyway. Either you, or they, see merit in the opposing person's argument, or you don't.

AtheistCreed- Lol. Whut?

lolwutwut

It's possible man. Keep people religious and stupid so they keep buying potato chips and prefer to see Miley Cyrus naked than a scientist.

We need to buy more science pron.

In all seriousness though, the average person is lacking due to public education being sub-par, we're in a complacent society of sheep.

Conspiracy or not, the fact remains that if we removed dogma and had a more progressive free-thinking society, we would be years ahead of our current selves.

I could be wrong, but it seems like a logical outcome.
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” - Marcus Aurelius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I would like to speak one on one with an informed atheist. Arbitraryusername 16 4585 November 7, 2013 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Thinking about getting a Team-speak Server jpell 2 1497 June 12, 2013 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: jpell
  Speak Out !! Xyster 30 8037 June 25, 2010 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Samson