Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gideons
Gideons
My son came home from school today with a Gideons Bible... Which made me think. Wouldn't it be a good idea of some people got together and came up with the Little Book of Atheism and pressured schools, hospitals, hotels etc. to carry it?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Gideons
It would be a good idea, imo. I don't see what you would put in it though... moral stories and teachings perhaps? Philosophy maybe? And hopefully we could expand the print size of the thing beyond size 6 (It is terrible on the eyes... nobody reads the Bible because it's written too small to make it worth it Tongue).

Did the school actually give him a Bible, or is he just borrowing it to read out of interest?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
They would have given it to him, that's the mission of the Gideons.

They gave me a bible in 3rd grade or so, and I remember feeling weird about it. I actually read it for about a week before giving up. What do you expect when an impressionable young child is presented a religion in school, his learning environment?

I think it's wrong to do it at such a young age. When it happened to me, there was an opt-out form, which my non-religious parents didn't utilize, for whatever reason. I think this is something that shouldn't be taking place until High School at the very earliest, if they insist on doing it.

If it were up to me, this sort of thing would be prohibited completely. Imagine the outrage if Muslim missionaries came into American grade schools and offered conversions and copies of the Koran. There would be riots and lynchings.
- Meatball
I try to play the "Hide the Bible" game in hotels with Gideon Bibles... http://www.io.com/unigames/commentary/061001.html

'tis most fun Big Grin
(October 14, 2009 at 1:37 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I try to play the "Hide the Bible" game in hotels with Gideon Bibles... http://www.io.com/unigames/commentary/061001.html

'tis most fun Big Grin

Heh, I'll do that when I'm in a hotel this November. Big Grin
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
We were given some weird translation - put me off ever reading such a thing!
(October 14, 2009 at 2:09 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote:
(October 14, 2009 at 1:37 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I try to play the "Hide the Bible" game in hotels with Gideon Bibles... http://www.io.com/unigames/commentary/061001.html

'tis most fun Big Grin

Heh, I'll do that when I'm in a hotel this November. Big Grin

I'll try it to whenever I stay at a hotel.

'tis most fun Big Grin

That's nasty! Poor Christians Sad
(October 14, 2009 at 11:49 am)Darwinian Wrote: My son came home from school today with a Gideons Bible... Which made me think. Wouldn't it be a good idea of some people got together and came up with the Little Book of Atheism and pressured schools, hospitals, hotels etc. to carry it?

There's already one. It's called The Gold Delusion Tongue

Why little? Is the Gideons Bible little? Cos if it is, I never knew that. Is it a super-shortened mini-Bible or something?

EvF
"The Gold Delusion" Why fiat money is a better system than the gold standard. How could anyone misunderstand the basic benefits that come from a fiat money system? Retards!

lol,
Rhizo

PS the best part is going to be after EvF edits his post then nobody will know what I am talking about.