Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No God on Twitter
No God on Twitter
Anyone follow the "No God" trending topic on Twitter? What do you think about Twitter combining it with "Know God"?

If you don't know what I'm referring to, here's an explanation: http://www.examiner.com/x-8776-Boston-At...on-Twitter?
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: No God on Twitter
Very interesting. "Bring it on!" I say.

Good article BTW.

P.S: When you said "play on homonyms" I got confused, did you mean homophones? Since a homonym is a word that shares both the same pronunciation and spelling but has different meanings, whereas if it merely is pronounced the same, like "no" and "know" (which I believe is what you were referring to?) but with different meanings, then it's a homophone, not a homonym.

Sorry if this is pedantry, or if I'm mistaken.

EvF
Blarg....I fixed it. Thanks for catching that, my editor didn't. Dodgy

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I am certainly by no means a language expert, I have a lot of ignorance on the subject (you might be able to tell sometimes Tongue) ...

...but by the time I'm old I might be at this rate! I regularly read the thesaurus and dictionary for fun, and one time when I was away from home for two days and didn't bring any of my dictionaries or thesauruses, when I came back I was going cold turkey from lack of thesaurus and dictionary usage! I think I might be an addict :S (at least sometimes).

EvF
I admit it... I loled at the phail whale Smile I don't twitter... so i don't understand what you mean by combining Know God' and 'No God'... though I was amused reading the article nonetheless. Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Twitter is addictive when you get into it.

Anyway, Twitter queries common words or phrases to create "Trending Topics". So when Michael Jackson died everyone talked about it so Trending topics where mostly about Michael Jackson at the time.

In this case, when the preacher tweeted about "Know God" the phrase No God became a trending topic due to the fact that it would also query statements like "Thank God there is no test today" to have the phrase No God. Atheists noticed and tweeted No God even more, people then got upset that no god was a trending topic, and they tweeted that they were upset about it and that made it EVEN MORE popular. So, either because the site was crashing or people were upset, they combined the query of "No God" with "Know God", Which then produced an amusing reaction by theists saying "Oh how nice, Know God is trending." Showing how fragile little theist hearts are.

I enjoyed Almightygod's reaction: "Dear Twitter, thanks for censoring "no god." My sheeple were getting their wittle feewings hurt."

Good article Eilonnwy.

I enjoyed reading it.

To bad those little theist can get their little feelings hurt over something like this!
Freedom is the ability to march to the beat of a different drummer without fear of retribution. Secularone

Ignorance is bliss but understanding is wonderful. Atheist forums.org
It is an enourmously stupid affair, How droll of an article though.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FB and Twitter/insta friends atheistinNYC 3 1046 November 30, 2015 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I found an odd user on Twitter. Jrmd2012 4 1935 May 15, 2012 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Atheism & Twitter Tiberius 7 2649 August 15, 2009 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: Mandi