Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 12:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poverty on the rise and inequality still a pressing issue.
Poverty on the rise and inequality still a pressing issue.
Just read through some new studies and statistics on various social conditions throughout Europe.

3 things suprised me more than other statistics.

1: Women on average still earn 25% less than men. An entire quater! That number left me with a dropped jaw, since through recent developments in the jobmarket, which included a rise of women to top working possitions and the number of highly educated women becoming larger than that of highly educated men I had hoped that the payment issue would have significantly bettered. I guess mysogeny in the workplace is unfortunatly still an issue on this continent.
But of course one will have to differenciate between a more gender equal Scandinacia and the ass backwards Spanish countryside. But still, I was suprised about this umber.

2: 43 million Europeans cannot afford food on a regular and healthy basis. That number jumped up drasticaly in the past years. Especialy in Southern Europe. In most northern European countries social food programs provide food for those too poor to afford it. It seems as if the financial crisis is eroding the southern european social security networks to a dangerous extent by disrupting even basic programs.

3: People in Southern Europe are moving back into the countryside. Not as suprising as one may think when observing the current crisis, but still, it runs completly against a global trend that sees the city populations grow everywhere.
RE: Poverty on the rise and inequality still a pressing issue.
Link to them studies? Science penguin can't do much without citations
Nemo me impune lacessit.
There is still countryside in southern Europe?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(October 10, 2013 at 5:25 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Just read through some new studies and statistics on various social conditions throughout Europe.

3 things suprised me more than other statistics.

1: Women on average still earn 25% less than men. An entire quater! That number left me with a dropped jaw, since through recent developments in the jobmarket, which included a rise of women to top working possitions and the number of highly educated women becoming larger than that of highly educated men I had hoped that the payment issue would have significantly bettered. I guess mysogeny in the workplace is unfortunatly still an issue on this continent.
But of course one will have to differenciate between a more gender equal Scandinacia and the ass backwards Spanish countryside. But still, I was suprised about this umber.

2: 43 million Europeans cannot afford food on a regular and healthy basis. That number jumped up drasticaly in the past years. Especialy in Southern Europe. In most northern European countries social food programs provide food for those too poor to afford it. It seems as if the financial crisis is eroding the southern european social security networks to a dangerous extent by disrupting even basic programs.

3: People in Southern Europe are moving back into the countryside. Not as suprising as one may think when observing the current crisis, but still, it runs completly against a global trend that sees the city populations grow everywhere.
I guess the third one can be considered as good. Rapid urbanisation is the destruction of both urban and rural societies. I think that a healthy balance must be maintained, and if it cannot, societies generally crumble.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti-immigration..does Right wing still fools masses? WinterHold 106 4891 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Far Right on the Rise Foxaèr 2 386 September 14, 2022 at 6:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Are religions that preach inequality for women and gays, traitors to their country? Greatest I am 129 5900 February 8, 2021 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Russia Bounty Issue is Indefensible AFTT47 19 1270 July 7, 2020 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Who Still Thinks Joe Biden Will Be The Nomine? ReptilianPeon 90 6770 March 11, 2020 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Ukraine/Crimea/Russia issue Mystic 23 5611 April 5, 2019 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  And TheTrumptard Will Still Not Care.... Minimalist 8 1087 August 1, 2018 at 6:58 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Evidently, we're still living in 1974... Rev. Rye 25 4302 June 4, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  We may have different points of view but can we still be friends? GODZILLA 26 3783 May 30, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  You Were Stupid. Will You Still Be Stupid in 2020? Minimalist 39 5203 May 15, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd