Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death may not be the end......
Death may not be the end......
while watching a robot moving and responding to the surrounding ‎events, we may ask …, with continuing development, can a robot , ‎typically match a human someday ??, the answer is ' impossible' . We ‎may manufacture a robot to make a 'decision or action' according to ‎received 'signals' from the surrounding environment , or even to record ‎data from 'previous' events, and use these data to make decisions… ‎but , how can we let it make a decision according to what he 'likes' , or ‎what he ' hates' ..??. in other words, to simulate this vague ‎‎'immaterial' 'sensing' being inside human body , which we call 'atman' ‎‎, that 'feels' ??. So , whatever a developed 'robot' is , it will be no ‎more than a simulation to our nervous system , which translates any ‎effects from the surrounding around us ; sound, scene , touch ,…etc. , ‎into electric signals , which , in turn are transported to us ; 'to our ‎atman' , to feel . Even, the 'brain' ; this material organ , does not ' ‎think ', but it is a complicated 'biologic computer' processor , which ‎includes all types of data registers , memories, and logical ‎gates,....etc. , Human 'atman' uses all these 'tools' to retrieve data, ‎analyze , infer, and conclude ; in other words , to 'think' . Human body ‎includes also systems for digestion , aspiration , blood circulation , ‎motion , …. etc. , just to serve the nervous system , which is the ‎‎(communicating media) between the 'material' world and the ‎‎'immaterial' human 'atman' . In other words , the human 'atman' wears ‎the human body , which is just a (communicating suit) with the surrounding effects . But , with ‎time , this suit is loosing the efficiency of its performance , until , at ‎some date , it exhibits a complete failure, which we call 'death'. When ‎happens , we have to leave this 'material suit' for land to be dissolved ‎into another substances , according to the chemical and biological rules ‎‎, in order to complete what is known as 'the circulation of ‎substances'…., but what about the human 'atman' ?? , this still ' alive ‎sensing ' miracle ??, after it left its 'communicating suit' , which was ‎responsible for sensing ' only' the material world ….. how will be ‎the new sensation in these new conditions ? . ‎
One of the probable answers is that , it may receive signals and ‎effects from a new world(s), which was screened from us by the low ‎definite capabilities of our nervous system , which will no longer exist ‎after death..... ‎
Finally..., is it possible for this 'atman' , after death , to wear a new suit (body) , as happened first time....??
RE: Death may not be the end......
Robots are cool.
Got a hard-on for ellipses, I see.
(October 12, 2013 at 4:35 pm)HUMAN BRAIN Wrote: while watching a robot moving and responding to the surrounding ‎events, we may ask …, with continuing development, can a robot , ‎typically match a human someday ??, the answer is ' impossible' . We ‎may manufacture a robot to make a 'decision or action' according to ‎received 'signals' from the surrounding environment , or even to record ‎data from 'previous' events, and use these data to make decisions… ‎but , how can we let it make a decision according to what he 'likes' , or ‎what he ' hates' ..??. in other words, to simulate this vague ‎‎'immaterial' 'sensing' being inside human body , which we call 'atman' ‎‎, that 'feels' ??. So , whatever a developed 'robot' is , it will be no ‎more than a simulation to our nervous system , which translates any ‎effects from the surrounding around us ; sound, scene , touch ,…etc. , ‎into electric signals , which , in turn are transported to us ; 'to our ‎atman' , to feel . Even, the 'brain' ; this material organ , does not ' ‎think ', but it is a complicated 'biologic computer' processor , which ‎includes all types of data registers , memories, and logical ‎gates,....etc. , Human 'atman' uses all these 'tools' to retrieve data, ‎analyze , infer, and conclude ; in other words , to 'think' . Human body ‎includes also systems for digestion , aspiration , blood circulation , ‎motion , …. etc. , just to serve the nervous system , which is the ‎‎(communicating media) between the 'material' world and the ‎‎'immaterial' human 'atman' . In other words , the human 'atman' wears ‎the human body , which is just a (communicating suit) with the surrounding effects . But , with ‎time , this suit is loosing the efficiency of its performance , until , at ‎some date , it exhibits a complete failure, which we call 'death'. When ‎happens , we have to leave this 'material suit' for land to be dissolved ‎into another substances , according to the chemical and biological rules ‎‎, in order to complete what is known as 'the circulation of ‎substances'…., but what about the human 'atman' ?? , this still ' alive ‎sensing ' miracle ??, after it left its 'communicating suit' , which was ‎responsible for sensing ' only' the material world ….. how will be ‎the new sensation in these new conditions ? . ‎
One of the probable answers is that , it may receive signals and ‎effects from a new world(s), which was screened from us by the low ‎definite capabilities of our nervous system , which will no longer exist ‎after death..... ‎
Finally..., is it possible for this 'atman' , after death , to wear a new suit (body) , as happened first time....??

Your argument fails on the unsubstantiated claim of dualism.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(October 12, 2013 at 4:35 pm)HUMAN BRAIN Wrote: while watching a robot moving and responding to the surrounding ‎events, we may ask …, with continuing development, can a robot , ‎typically match a human someday ??, the answer is ' impossible' . We ‎may manufacture a robot to make a 'decision or action' according to ‎received 'signals' from the surrounding environment , or even to record ‎data from 'previous' events, and use these data to make decisions… ‎but , how can we let it make a decision according to what he 'likes' , or ‎what he ' hates' ..??. in other words, to simulate this vague ‎‎'immaterial' 'sensing' being inside human body , which we call 'atman' ‎‎, that 'feels' ??. So , whatever a developed 'robot' is , it will be no ‎more than a simulation to our nervous system , which translates any ‎effects from the surrounding around us ; sound, scene , touch ,…etc. , ‎into electric signals , which , in turn are transported to us ; 'to our ‎atman' , to feel . Even, the 'brain' ; this material organ , does not ' ‎think ', but it is a complicated 'biologic computer' processor , which ‎includes all types of data registers , memories, and logical ‎gates,....etc. , Human 'atman' uses all these 'tools' to retrieve data, ‎analyze , infer, and conclude ; in other words , to 'think' . Human body ‎includes also systems for digestion , aspiration , blood circulation , ‎motion , …. etc. , just to serve the nervous system , which is the ‎‎(communicating media) between the 'material' world and the ‎‎'immaterial' human 'atman' . In other words , the human 'atman' wears ‎the human body , which is just a (communicating suit) with the surrounding effects . But , with ‎time , this suit is loosing the efficiency of its performance , until , at ‎some date , it exhibits a complete failure, which we call 'death'. When ‎happens , we have to leave this 'material suit' for land to be dissolved ‎into another substances , according to the chemical and biological rules ‎‎, in order to complete what is known as 'the circulation of ‎substances'…., but what about the human 'atman' ?? , this still ' alive ‎sensing ' miracle ??, after it left its 'communicating suit' , which was ‎responsible for sensing ' only' the material world ….. how will be ‎the new sensation in these new conditions ? . ‎

Why do you presume that death = failure? Death may just be an end to human suffering, which would be far from a failure.
(October 12, 2013 at 4:35 pm)HUMAN BRAIN Wrote: Finally..., is it possible for this 'atman' , after death , to wear a new suit (body) , as happened first time....??

Who and when was this 'first time' you mention?

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I'll say it again. ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE. A ravaged brain in a live body. The personhood of an Alzheimer's patient- their "soul" is gone long before his body dies. AD patients become empty shells. The "suit" survives longer than the essential self. Where is the soul of an AD patient? Trapped in a useless body for years? Already gone? Watching several people I loved die of AD was the final nail in the coffin for any notion of a "soul" for me. When death did come for these people, I was glad. They had been robbed of themselves long before.
(October 12, 2013 at 5:56 pm)Zazzy Wrote: I'll say it again. ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE. A ravaged brain in a live body. The personhood of an Alzheimer's patient- their "soul" is gone long before his body dies. AD patients become empty shells. The "suit" survives longer than the essential self. Where is the soul of an AD patient? Trapped in a useless body for years? Already gone? Watching several people I loved die of AD was the final nail in the coffin for any notion of a "soul" for me. When death did come for these people, I was glad. They had been robbed of themselves long before.

As a former nurse, I can agree. Some loved ones of my patients were relieved (though sad) and got closure the day their granny died, other refused to see the fact that their loved one had not a good quality of life.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Brain = Light Source

Mind = Light Ray

The source (the brain) dies, and the light (mind) ceases to be. The only light that remains of the source is that which was shown upon others while the source was emitting (in the form of memories among those who the person knew while living).
(October 12, 2013 at 5:37 pm)Ryantology Wrote: Got a hard-on for ellipses, I see.

And a phobia of paragraphs, apparently.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2736 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Humanist marriages 'least likely to end in divorce' Duty 20 3462 March 11, 2019 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  List of religious end times/Second coming of Jesus predictions purplepurpose 13 4173 November 22, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How would Abrahamic religions end? mota 18 8687 August 2, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Two scenarios that may/may not happen. RayOfLight 85 17032 November 2, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  The bible teaches that there is no immortal soul and that death is the end MIND BLOWN LetThereBeNoGod 4 1755 February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Near death experiences are not biblical and the bible itself debunks them (Proof) LetThereBeNoGod 0 1135 February 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Scientists discover new form of matter in 2017. (The end of human suffering?) %mindless_detector% 17 5197 January 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  i think we are living in the end times! Rextos 5 1772 December 17, 2015 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  how do you think life on earth will end? Rextos 42 6539 November 18, 2015 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie