Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Does this describe you?
Does this describe you?
Some atheists are like this, some are not. Are you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRN0IVMWEmk
RE: Does this describe you?
Agnostic is not a stand alone word, it has to go in front of theist or atheist.

I am an outright atheist as far as past and current claims, but as far as the future(strictly in a semantic sense) I am agnostic.
Hey! You made that video?!
nice!
But There was something at the beginning that I disagree with....
I do fit in.
I don't question everything... I'd lose my mind if I did...
Truth is a word I try to avoid.

Now, a question: what is that music called?
For the most part that describes me. Except the agnostic definition as "impossible to know whether there is a god." I've often been against this definition since if a god exists and showed itself to the world, then it would be possible to know that there is a god. With a god that refuses to show itself and does everything possible to hide its existence, then it would probably be impossible to know. But the difference between that and a nonexistent god is zero.

I think the better definition of agnostic is "one who doesn't claim to know whether or not a god exists."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(October 18, 2013 at 3:47 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Now, a question: what is that music called?

Sail by AWOLnation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaZMST-vHfM
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(October 18, 2013 at 2:53 pm)Wunsbee Wrote: Some atheists are like this, some are not. Are you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRN0IVMWEmk

Honest, if I'd seen that video shortly after coming to realize I was an atheist, I might have crawled right back inside a Bible. People can make atheism sooo complicated. The thing I remember most clearly about embracing my loss of belief was the sense of freedom I felt. The last thing I want to do is try to figure out how many labels I can cover myself with. Right now I'm pretty comfortable with none.

The best part about freeing myself from religious belief is that I don't have to belong to any particular "we" anymore, unless I want to.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Wunsbee,

Your religious views reads: "Hate the belief, love the believer".

I'm confident you mispelled the word 'loathe'.
(October 18, 2013 at 2:53 pm)Wunsbee Wrote: Some atheists are like this, some are not. Are you?

No, I agree there is no evidence to suggest there is no god which would suggest agnosticism, but I am persuaded by reason to conclude that deities do not exist. I accept this requires a leap of faith, but it is one I can comfortably live with. There is nothing about atheism that suggests any lack of deities has to be empirically proven.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(October 18, 2013 at 3:27 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Agnostic is not a stand alone word, it has to go in front of theist or atheist...

No it does not 'have to'.
Speak for yourself.
I think we make a huge mistake by assuming that if someones claims they are an atheist they are also "a,b, and c"

I've known a few Atheists that didn't stumble to their atheism through critical thinking. Many don't erm...practice...critical thinking. (I for example am from middle earth, and good luck convincing me other wise. Tongue) I know a few atheists that still fall for supernatural/conspiratorial nonsense.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5215 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  why is there even a word to describe non believers? ticktaka 26 5851 April 17, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: ticktaka
Tongue Looking for a word to describe someone who is not a theist. Ideas? Whateverist 18 8190 November 27, 2013 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Whateverist