Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a word to describe someone who is not a theist. Ideas?
Tongue 
Looking for a word to describe someone who is not a theist. Ideas?
We all know that atheists are people who hold the active belief that God Almighty does not exist. Of course some of us suspect that those who deny God On High are really just angry with Him. But what of those poor souls who are raised by wolves or, worse, by angry God-deniers who keep all knowledge of God away from them.

There should be a way of referring to those who simply do not believe in the exulted one because they've been denied the opportunity to make His acquaintance. My suggestion would have been to call them "pre-theists". But it turns out that not every 'pretheist' is receptive to receiving the Good News.

It is as surprising as it is confounding and yet it is true. Many pretheists will respond exactly the way God deniers do, with puzzlement and requests for evidence. Some will even look upon those eager to let the light of His love into their hearts askance, as if it were we who were the odd ones.

For that reason I've decided to rescind my proposal that we seek a word to differentiate between those who do not know of God and those who actively reject Him. We might just as well refer to the lot of them as atheists. But what do you think?
RE: Looking for a word to describe someone who is not a theist. Ideas?
I think this should have been put in the 'humor' section
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
"It is as surprising as it is confounding and yet it is true. Many pretheists will respond exactly the way God deniers do, with puzzlement and requests for evidence. Some will even look upon those eager to let the light of His love into their hearts askance, as if it were we who were the odd ones."

Why would anyone NOT request evidence? I don't believe anything simply because someone says it is so. That doesn't only apply to religion. I approach everything in life the same way. You can't just say something is true and expect me to believe it for no reason.
(November 27, 2013 at 10:15 am)mostlysilent Wrote: "It is as surprising as it is confounding and yet it is true. Many pretheists will respond exactly the way God deniers do, with puzzlement and requests for evidence. Some will even look upon those eager to let the light of His love into their hearts askance, as if it were we who were the odd ones."

Why would anyone NOT request evidence? I don't believe anything simply because someone says it is so. That doesn't only apply to religion. I approach everything in life the same way. You can't just say something is true and expect me to believe it for no reason.

You make a good point.

(November 27, 2013 at 10:02 am)Bad Wolf Wrote: I think this should have been put in the 'humor' section

What a rational thing to say. (Hope the comment about being raised by wolves didn't offend.)
Don't know about pretheists. I could make a case for the term Anti-theists...
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Primatheism...primatheist? (Prim- prefix denoting 'first'). It also looks like 'primate', which would be a nod towards science and a veiled rebuke of YEC.

I also like 'Unindoctrinated lucky fuckers', but that would be too long, I reckon..
(November 27, 2013 at 11:13 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Don't know about pretheists. I could make a case for the term Anti-theists...

Do you prefer anti- to non- ?

We do get some pretty naive-theists through here though who strike me as surprised when we don't greet them as liberators.

(November 27, 2013 at 11:17 am)Captain Colostomy Wrote: I also like 'Unindoctrinated lucky fuckers', but that would be too long, I reckon..

Proselytizing Red Meat would be another option along those lines. But I do kind of count myself a lucky fucker theistically speaking.
(November 27, 2013 at 11:25 am)whateverist Wrote:
(November 27, 2013 at 11:13 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Don't know about pretheists. I could make a case for the term Anti-theists...

Do you prefer anti- to non- ?

We do get some pretty naive-theists through here though who strike me as surprised when we don't greet them as liberators.

I think anti is different to non. There are some shopping seem to view theists with a kind of polite bafflement, much as I regard people who believe in ghosts. There are others who seem active hostile to religion and religious people, much as I regard people who are anti vaccination.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
non would work. Antitheist means you have the good sense to realize that all religion is fucking poison! Anit = against, non=a simple not. Indubitably
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

(November 27, 2013 at 9:56 am)whateverist Wrote: We all know that atheists are people who hold the active belief that God Almighty does not exist. Of course some of us suspect that those who deny God On High are really just angry with Him. But what of those poor souls who are raised by wolves or, worse, by angry God-deniers who keep all knowledge of God away from them.

There should be a way of referring to those who simply do not believe in the exulted one because they've been denied the opportunity to make His acquaintance. My suggestion would have been to call them "pre-theists". But it turns out that not every 'pretheist' is receptive to receiving the Good News.

It is as surprising as it is confounding and yet it is true. Many pretheists will respond exactly the way God deniers do, with puzzlement and requests for evidence. Some will even look upon those eager to let the light of His love into their hearts askance, as if it were we who were the odd ones.

For that reason I've decided to rescind my proposal that we seek a word to differentiate between those who do not know of God and those who actively reject Him. We might just as well refer to the lot of them as atheists. But what do you think?

How about 'antetheists'? That wouldn't be confusing. Undecided
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 453 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1435 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2004 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 2031 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Hilarious argument from someone I encountered in the youtube comments Heat 19 4749 April 23, 2020 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  (Sensitivity required) Coming out to someone SlowCalculations 12 1768 October 27, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3659 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11921 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 150782 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4554 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters