Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pollen Study Indicates the Collapse of the LBA
Pollen Study Indicates the Collapse of the LBA
civilization was due to regional drought.

The depredations of the Sea Peoples are usually credited for destroying the Late Bronze Age empires c 1200 BCE but what set off such a massive migration of people? And why were those empires so weak that they could not repel bands of marauders? A new report from Tel Aviv University cites long-term drought as the answer.

Quote: Experts have long pondered the cause of the crisis that led to the Late Bronze Age collapse of civilization, and now believe that by studying grains of fossilized pollen they have uncovered the cause. In a study published Monday in Tel Aviv: Journal of the Institute of Archaeology of Tel Aviv University, researchers say it was drought that led to the collapse in the ancient southern Levant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/23/world/...html?_r=2&
RE: Pollen Study Indicates the Collapse of the LBA
Oh darn. I read that as "collapse of the labia."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(October 22, 2013 at 4:23 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Oh darn. I read that as "collapse of the labia."

Maybe the Minimalist had a Freudian slip of the tongue Wink
undefined
Wasn't because of money$$? And just which "civilisation" are we talking about?

Rome doesn't seem to have suffered. Thinking
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I'm surprised 'god did it' isn't being refuted with science aGain.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(October 23, 2013 at 3:28 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Wasn't because of money$$? And just which "civilisation" are we talking about?

Rome doesn't seem to have suffered. Thinking

People in what is now Rome were still living in wattle-and-daub huts in the late Bronze Age, when the civilizations of the Eastern Mediterranean collapsed.
undefined
I can relate to this.

Since giving up dairy it hasn't been a problem but I used to get very severe hay-fever.

It was particularly bad in very dry weather.

So drought -->
More pollen in the air -->
More hay fever -->
Everyone gets apathetic and sleepy and miserable -->
Many people go on holiday to wetter climates -->
Holiday destinations couldn't accommodate the extra demand (no room at the inn) -->
Economies collapse.

Meanwhile, as it is universally known that snake oil is the cure for hay-fever, some people get rich.

These people (apothecaries, priests etc.) also make a tidy profit selling marauder repellent.

Makes perfect sense, now.

Thumb up
The PURPOSE of life is to replicate our DNA ................. (from Darwin)
The MEANING of life is the experience of living ... (from Frank Herbert)
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind ..... (from observation)
Sucks for those guys.

I wonder what kind of impact that had on religions as we know them today....
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Near Death Experience Study Opinions? orthodox-man 62 9833 May 1, 2018 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Climate Change and ecological collapse ph445 42 9406 August 3, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The AWARE study. Jehanne 3 1049 February 8, 2016 at 3:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  New study on mass extinction of species abaris 19 5284 June 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Peer reviewed study published in Science Journal turns out to be fraud. YGninja 82 11405 May 28, 2015 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Kennewick Man Study On The Way Minimalist 4 1482 September 1, 2014 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
Tongue Study:Drunk Fish Totally Impress Sober Fish. MountainsWinAgain 2 1052 May 23, 2014 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Your memory rewrites the past and edits it with new experiences, study finds Gooders1002 6 2198 March 22, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tor
  NASA Study Concludes When Civilization Will End, And It's Not Looking Good for Us Gooders1002 9 3763 March 22, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  Evidence for the Culprit in the Late Bronze Age Collapse in the Levant Minimalist 0 974 February 14, 2014 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Minimalist