Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The consequences of an unregulated meat industry
The consequences of an unregulated meat industry
Quote:Germany slaughters 58 million pigs a year and has built an efficient meat industry second only to the US in pork exports. Its optimized breeding, feeding and killing system churns out wondrously cheap cutlets -- but at a hidden cost to the environment and our health.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germ...29251.html

This was this weeks title story in my favority weekly journal and it is one that I have been really looking forward too.
Germany was one of the first countries in Europe to industrialise it`s argicultural sector on an American scale, especialy in the meat production. This has created a vast meat and breeding industry in Germany that produces enought pork to feed all of Europe. I have often read and heard about this economic development and the impact it has had. One of it`s impacts is that small scale farmers and meat producers in France, Spain and elsewhere in Europe are starting to go bankrupt due to the dumping price at which the German industrial meat production sells it`s meat.
Europe has for a very long time resisted the development of industrialising it`s food production, but it seems as if this development is becoming unaviodable.

This article however focuses on the negative sideeffect of this massive meat industry on public health and the enviorment. And I believe it to be an interesting read.

I am wondering if, when encountered with this new big scale industrialisation of the European agricultural sector we will see social developments taking place in European nations similar to those that took place in the US when their agricultural sector was industrialised and which lead to the Federal Meat Inspection Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Mea...ection_Act
RE: The consequences of an unregulated meat industry
Big business always drives out small business.

Its the Wal-Mart business model.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ike Warns of unchecked military industry. Brian37 25 2473 May 26, 2020 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  [Serious] Processed meat notimportant1234 29 2113 October 17, 2019 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Law of Unintended Consequences Strikes Again Minimalist 0 958 March 30, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Yes, When You Elect Scumbags There Are Consequences Minimalist 6 1233 April 8, 2016 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Law of Unintended Consequences Rears It's Head.... Minimalist 2 866 July 28, 2014 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  the holocaust industry nintendo048 5 3074 March 30, 2014 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: nintendo048
  Unregulated guns are a catastrophe! A_Nony_Mouse 29 10468 May 13, 2013 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  Louisiana Forces Homeless Shelter To Destroy $8,000 Worth Of Deer Meat Nobody 4 1980 February 28, 2013 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Obama is a copyrights industry whore BoyWonder 2 1776 April 8, 2012 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Meat or Potatoes? Autumnlicious 11 2732 November 29, 2011 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen