Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 9:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Must Be Yet Another Example
Must Be Yet Another Example
of how the "universe" is so ideally suited for life that there must be a "creator."

http://news.yahoo.com/earth-size-planet-...41792.html

Quote:CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — Scientists have found a planet way out in the cosmos that's close in size and content to Earth — an astronomical first.

But hold off on the travel plans. This rocky world is so close to its sun that it's at least 2,000 degrees hotter than here, almost certainly too hot for life.

Or maybe not.
RE: Must Be Yet Another Example
Yahoo still exists?

It's only a matter of time, finding a match in the Goldilock's Zone. I love the ramifications that presents.
(October 30, 2013 at 6:41 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: Yahoo still exists?

It's only a matter of time, finding a match in the Goldilock's Zone. I love the ramifications that presents.

Give it another thousand years and we will be able to create our own Goldilocks zone.

Damn I wish I could see the future.
I object to the term 'Earth-like'. Ok, the planet has rock and metal. But it is twice as dense as Earth and has a surface temp probably hot enough to melt steel. It is extremely unlikely to contain water in appreciable, usable amounts and probably has no atmosphere to speak of (at least not a nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere).

Where does the 'Earth-like' bit come in??

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 30, 2013 at 6:43 pm)plaincents822 Wrote: Damn I wish I could see the future.

Just make up shit and call yourself a prophet. Theists do it all the time.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(October 30, 2013 at 7:33 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I object to the term 'Earth-like'. Ok, the planet has rock and metal. But it is twice as dense as Earth and has a surface temp probably hot enough to melt steel. It is extremely unlikely to contain water in appreciable, usable amounts and probably has no atmosphere to speak of (at least not a nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere).

Where does the 'Earth-like' bit come in??

Boru
'Galaxy-like" should be the claim, since everything is composed of nearly the same elements in varying proportions. You may as well call space aliens "human-like".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to find forces that are not yet known? ErGingerbreadMandude 19 4520 September 21, 2015 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Shining_Finger
  Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet Minimalist 35 9362 April 28, 2014 at 3:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Oldest Galaxy Yet..... Minimalist 5 1595 October 24, 2013 at 10:55 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Score (yet another) one for science! Cyberman 7 985 October 7, 2013 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Must see graphical video of the seismic data compiled for the Japan Earthquake orogenicman 13 4284 February 20, 2012 at 12:18 am
Last Post: Minimalist