Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to find forces that are not yet known?
How to find forces that are not yet known?
How would one go about to find forces that are not yet known or found?
I've always found that there are at least two or more explanations for most of the things and that is how one should go about to discovering new forces.

If i have a glass that is full of water i can say that the glass is not empty because there is water in the glass.I can also look at an empty glass and say that it is empty because it is filled with air.So I've discovered water and air.Is this how people find new forces?

So if an object is floating in space one explanation for it would be that it is because there is no(or negligible) gravity acting on it.
(Like saying that the glass is full because it is filled with water.)
Another explanation would be that it is because (some unexplained force) is acting on it and that is the reason it is floating?

So how exactly would one go about to find stuff that we don't know yet exists?
RE: How to find forces that are not yet known?
Teh maths. 

Have you researched the search for dark matter - that makes for a good example.
(September 20, 2015 at 6:27 am)houseofcantor Wrote: Teh maths. 

Dark matter hasn't been found just posed as possibility to explain certain things that make the maths wrong and certain phenomena. Like dark energy.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(September 20, 2015 at 6:37 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(September 20, 2015 at 6:27 am)houseofcantor Wrote: Teh maths. 

Dark matter hasn't been found just posed as possibility to explain certain things that make the maths wrong and certain phenomena. Like dark energy.

Prolly should clarify for the silly cats in the audience 
Quote:The search for dark matter makes a good example of how to find forces that are not yet known

Big Grin
I've also found that all objects possesses all forces.Like a ball idle on the ground has kinetic energy.I don't know any more examples to show.But all objects possesses all forces at least in miniature amounts.The force that is the most majority on an object would have the most effect on it.
Sometimes I've felt that researchers take an object with ten 1's,two 2's,one 3 and since we haven't yet discovered the 1's and 2's they focus on the 3.Because it's the only thing they can find..
Like if we haven't yet discovered gravity people could think that objects fall because of their (kinetic energy? oh idk,physics nerds fill in the blanks) and then focus on that instead of focusing on gravity.

Dead end researches ;__;
Why am I suddenly thinking you're not qualified to be posting in the science section?  Angel
As far as I'm aware, we investigate forces by measuring their effects. We then describe these effects that can be separated out by different names, and apply in a particular way, such as gravity.

It's always possible more forces are acting on things, having either no net effect, or effects we aren't aware of. Until they make a measurable difference, it's irrelevant whether these forces are there or not from a scientific point of view.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 20, 2015 at 6:58 am)houseofcantor Wrote: Why am I suddenly thinking you're not qualified to be posting in the science section?  Angel

Do you want me to sent you my "certificate's" copy
For example by producing the bosons carrying the force at particle accelerators and observing their decay products. This works best for strong supershort range forces like the misleadingly named "weak" force.

Additional new long range forces generally lead to violations of the gravitational equivalence principle and could become noticeable in precision measurements of gravitational attraction, e.g Eotvos type experiments or measurements of the Casimir effect which have astonishing precision. (For details see e.g. my paper where we demonstrate the virtual theoretical impossibility of superluminal neutrinos because they would have required new forces of this type - and references therein)
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'd kudos that if I understood it Tongue
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet Minimalist 35 9345 April 28, 2014 at 3:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Scientists find oldest piece of Earth Cyberman 13 3057 March 2, 2014 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Must Be Yet Another Example Minimalist 5 1234 October 30, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: freedomfromforum
  Oldest Galaxy Yet..... Minimalist 5 1593 October 24, 2013 at 10:55 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Score (yet another) one for science! Cyberman 7 985 October 7, 2013 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Will the LHC find the 'God' Particle? CoxRox 11 4816 August 3, 2012 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Find the Supernova Challenge orogenicman 5 2387 April 20, 2012 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Tidal Forces on Alien Planets thesummerqueen 1 1403 February 25, 2012 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: passionatefool
Sad We've Known About Climate Change for 53 years now. TheDarkestOfAngels 32 10104 February 18, 2011 at 6:13 am
Last Post: ib.me.ub