Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honor
Honor
what is your opinion of honor? Should it be valued?

I just read book called blood ninja by nick lake. In the book it brought up a good point about honor.
It spoke about honor being about obeying authority and dying when required. That everything else was pretty much meaningless. Being loyal to the authority is most important. The authority uses honor as a tool for warriors to submit to them, do their work, and even die in their name. That the authority actually has no honor, only practicality.

In a way this is true. I mean in the book they were referring to samuri but it could apply to military and law enforcement today. Politicians would knows this and use it as a tool for their agendas. Church's as well.

Do you think it is a good thing if used properly and a bad thing if misused or just a illusion or am iI wrong?
RE: Honor
The essence of honor is the willingness to subject the self to rules, even when those rules may not be a benefit of the individual. In war, the rules are pretty simple: obey your orders, without regard to what you think about them. You can't take on the Taliban or whatever on your own, so by necessity you agree to (pretty much blindly) follow the orders of your superior, even at the cost of your own life.

The problem with honor is that it collapses in the face of hypocrisy, and the world is full of hypocrisy.
Good point. I can see its use. But I can see it isn't always used for good.
Honor to me is doing what is right.
Thanks for the vagueness cat
You're welcome, of course.
I can kind of see that, but it's pretty subjective because what is right can vary from person to person.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(November 2, 2013 at 11:29 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: I can kind of see that, but it's pretty subjective because what is right can vary from person to person.

is there objective honor? Is all honor based on morality?
I don't know. Many Japanese in the past believed that it is honorable to kill yourself in certain situations. However I'd call it crazy.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I think "honor" is a self delusion. It's something we "want" to believe in, but we don't really.
For example, Take a poor black kid in Detroit. The bulk of America doesn't want to even be around him, much less have him move next door. Even if the boy joins the Army, the U.S. doesn't care for him enough to pay him a wage to take care of his family. They don't wisely avoid unnecessary entanglements with rules of war that favor the enemy. They don't insure him with good health care to to take care of him if he is maimed, BUT, if he is killed, cars stop on the side of the road while his dead body passes in a false sense of "honor", and tear flow. All the while his widow and children will likely live in destitution. Honor indeed.
Find the cure for Fundementia!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Heart In honor of the revolutionary known as Jesus, I present: the Radianites Arjiuna 8 1446 April 5, 2015 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Iroscato