Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 7, 2024, 12:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence
Evidence
One of the biggest arguments I hear on this forum is "there is evidence for (a) god.
If so, show me this evidence.
Simply explain to me why your specific god exists.
It's a straightforward question, so don't set up any strawmen or evade the subject, you'll just make a fool of yourself.
¨I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.¨
RE: Evidence
The evidence is all around you. Open your eyes.
The theist vs. atheist debate will finally progress when the atheist realises asking for evidence is ridiculous. What is it that you're expecting from the theist? An experiment with a beaker and a few chemicals that prove God exists? No, such evidence will *never* be available because we're talking about a concept that is "outside" of our universe. How can materialistic things prove to you that there is a consciousness that feels love, anger, jealousy etc. which wants to connect with you personally? They can't.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
I agree, FallentoReason, except that we know animals existed for millions upon hundred millions of years, not any shorter amount of time. Humans didn't walk with dinosaurs, and it was around 65 million years ago that the last 'saur' walked the earth. Tiny rodent like mammals survived the great extinction (a meteor, would you believe? A meteor that caused chaos the world over, nuclear winter, volcanoes, earthquakes, 'hell on earth'. It was not just the meteor that extincted the dinosaurs, it was the domino or butterfly effect of said meteor) only because they burrowed and as such escaped the harmful effects happening topside. There is a basic understanding of how things evolved from single celled organisms, not 'poof! and you shall be man! Crack, and you are woman'. Ice ages and global warming, plate tectonics.....

The thing that I find so disgusting is that in the face of all of this information and knowledge and enlightenment, so many choose to ignore because of a fucking book.
Science is not speculation. Nor is mathematics. Formulae, experiements, variables and controls, denominators, these things are consistent and don't leave much room for interpretation. You can change the values, but the data at the end yields the same result.

Not so with religion. Who knows what was written metaphorically, allegorically, literally, or imagined? That's why it's hard to think about something that exists outside of everything we know. Because the only things that exist to tell us about said entity repeatedly fall when placed under scrutiny.
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
(November 7, 2013 at 11:30 pm)Owlix Wrote: I agree, FallentoReason, except that we know animals existed for millions upon hundred millions of years, not any shorter amount of time. Humans didn't walk with dinosaurs, and it was around 65 million years ago that the last 'saur' walked the earth. Tiny rodent like mammals survived the great extinction (a meteor, would you believe? A meteor that caused chaos the world over, nuclear winter, volcanoes, earthquakes, 'hell on earth'. It was not just the meteor that extincted the dinosaurs, it was the domino or butterfly effect of said meteor) only because they burrowed and as such escaped the harmful effects happening topside. There is a basic understanding of how things evolved from single celled organisms, not 'poof! and you shall be man! Crack, and you are woman'. Ice ages and global warming, plate tectonics.....

I agree with all of this. That is the flip-side, the double-edged sword for the theist, when it comes to trying to tame science in a religious way; they should be able to convince the atheist that no material evidence will ever be found for God's existence, but at the same time their god's Creation tells a story that is incompatible with what their god says about his own creation.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
As evidenced by Post#2, evasion and bullshit is what they do best. In fact, it is all they do.
(November 7, 2013 at 10:59 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: The theist vs. atheist debate will finally progress when the atheist realises asking for evidence is ridiculous. What is it that you're expecting from the theist? An experiment with a beaker and a few chemicals that prove God exists? No, such evidence will *never* be available because we're talking about a concept that is "outside" of our universe. How can materialistic things prove to you that there is a consciousness that feels love, anger, jealousy etc. which wants to connect with you personally? They can't.

I disagree with the first statement. The debate will only progress when the theist realises that there is no evidence. Everything else that you said is exactly my point. There is no material evidence, and we live in a material world.

(November 7, 2013 at 10:55 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: The evidence is all around you. Open your eyes.

My eyes are open. I am looking around, and here is a list of what I see:
A wall, floor, TV, bed, chair, two doors, a computer, a ps3, cables attatched to the tv, two desks, and a trash can. About it. No evidence for your god.
¨I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.¨
(November 7, 2013 at 10:55 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: The evidence is all around you. Open your eyes.

Does this mean you found my foreskin? Praise Jesus.

Send me a PM so I can give you my address.
(November 7, 2013 at 11:53 pm)ChildOfReason Wrote:
(November 7, 2013 at 10:59 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: The theist vs. atheist debate will finally progress when the atheist realises asking for evidence is ridiculous. What is it that you're expecting from the theist? An experiment with a beaker and a few chemicals that prove God exists? No, such evidence will *never* be available because we're talking about a concept that is "outside" of our universe. How can materialistic things prove to you that there is a consciousness that feels love, anger, jealousy etc. which wants to connect with you personally? They can't.

I disagree with the first statement. The debate will only progress when the theist realises that there is no evidence. Everything else that you said is exactly my point. There is no material evidence, and we live in a material world.

I'm confused. Why would the theist need to realise that there is no evidence? It's the atheist that is usually wanting physical evidence on a silver platter presented to them that proves God. The chance that all these atheists are asking rhetorically is extremely low, as it is obvious that they're implying that such evidence is what they require in order to start believing, hence why they're most likely asking in the first place.

I guess what I'd like to know is why, if no evidence is to be found out there, how come they presume this "consciousness .. which wants to connect with you personally" is out there. Just as the underpinnings of consciousness are to be found in the brain, so too will this "greater consciousness". If it isn't supported in our brains then it has no place in this universe at all. Why turn down such a location for gods? Maybe your gods are in here. Consciousness is not unitary. There is plenty of room for your gods right on board that noggin of yours. You know, I and I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 6805 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4210 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If theists understood "evidence" Foxaèr 135 13672 October 10, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2916 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Best Evidence For God and Against God The Joker 49 9718 November 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God) ProgrammingGodJordan 324 50231 November 22, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Chas
  Someone, Show me Evidence of God. ScienceAf 85 11572 September 12, 2016 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Please give me evidence for God. Socratic Meth Head 142 21911 March 23, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Evidence of NDEs Jehanne 22 4444 December 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I'm God. What evidence do I need to provide? robvalue 297 28134 November 16, 2015 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet