Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists, are you immune to being decieved?
Video 
Theists, are you immune to being decieved?
In recent conversations with a few of our resident Theists, I've been asking them a question that has yet to be answered.

How do you know you are not delusional?

I can see how somebody would find this to be a question intended to offend. Theists are convinced that the feelings they derive from their belief confirm the truth of the God they associate them with, and so to them, of course it's not a delusion.

They feel it in their hearts, and their mind backs it up. It all falls in line with exactly what they've been told to expect. All one has to do is expel all doubt and give in to the truth of their God, and others would experience what they experience. (coincidentally, this would be true for any God claim). The fact that so many others make exclusive and yet incompatible claims makes no difference. The others must be mistaken because the convinced Theist needs only to know what they feel personally about their God to know that they are right, and the others are wrong. Their subjective experience of the belief they hold in God could not allow them to misconstrue the truth.

But the question remains...How do they know they're not delusional? How can they trust what they've attributed to this personal experience that creates an unwavering conviction? I saw this video today and a creepy feeling came over me. I recommend it to Theists and Atheists alike. It's provides some interesting insight on the mind of the believer. As usual, I look forward to reading everyone's feedback. See ya around the forums!

RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved?
Strictly speaking, "How do you know you're not delusional?" can only be responded to with an assumption by anyone. If you were delusional, you might not know it. You could be undergoing an extremely potent hallucination, after all.
(November 18, 2013 at 5:05 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: Strictly speaking, "How do you know you're not delusional?" can only be responded to with an assumption by anyone. If you were delusional, you might not know it. You could be undergoing an extremely potent hallucination, after all.

I disagree. I think that by being willing to revise one's beliefs in the face of new evidence, and being aware of personal biases that may blind one's ability to change are good ways of knowing if a belief is a delusion or not. That is, if a belief doesn't accurately represent reality.

That's the difference between being delusional and misconstruing reality. A religious nut would not change their belief under any circumstances. There is nothing that would cause them to revise it unless the signs that point to self deception are too much to ignore. I think it depends with how long it's been apart of their psyche, and whether or not they are surrounded by those that reinforce the concepts by using the same faulty circular logic.

I am not delusional because I'm not married to any belief that I have. I am willing to revise them, and that is something that no Christian can say.

That's not to say they can't revise them, but in the state in which they defend them, that's not an alternative they're able to consider. It's a belief blinded by confirmation bias that is immune to criticism or revision.
There is no spoon.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
How does someone with a broken "God antenna" know that their minority world view isn't the deluded state?
[Image: spoon.jpg]
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 18, 2013 at 5:22 pm)Lion IRC Wrote: How does someone with a broken "God antenna" know that their minority world view isn't the deluded state?

Majority view doesn't equal reality.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(November 18, 2013 at 5:05 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: You could be undergoing an extremely potent hallucination, after all.

This is true, and while I can only speak about personal experiences of such things. There is a state of awareness during hallucinations that lends to one recognizing that things are different than "normal". Even in the state of experiencing a hallucination, and especially after, rationality can be applied. It is the ability to reason with the phenomenon in question that allows one to arrive at it being a "hallucination", or an inaccurate representation of reality.

When reason is chucked out the window, it is not perceived as a hallucination, it IS REALITY to the one attempting to make sense of the experience. This is somewhat the crux of religion and its associated claims. It's the line between fantasy and reality; Theism Vs. Atheism. IMO

(November 18, 2013 at 5:22 pm)Lion IRC Wrote: How does someone with a broken "God antenna" know that their minority world view isn't the deluded state?

Did you watch the video? It may be helpful if you make an argument against some of the things being said in it. It's only 6 minutes or so. Surely you have the time.

Secondly,

How do you know that God doesn't merely exist only in the heads of people that think there is a "God Antenna" extending from them?

I'm not saying that God doesn't exist. I believe he does. He's in your head. I also believe that he's as subjectively real to you as your favorite food. But, how do you know it's anything more than that? Surely you must have evidence for such an objective claim. No?

Again, I'm open to the idea that there's a God. I'm genuinely willing to revise my stance on God and adopt the one that you have. But if you think that it's a reasonable position, you have to provide evidence for it.

A lot of people thinking something is true, doesn't make it true. Do you really not understand that?

Your same question could be directed at you toward Allah, and yet, you are not convinced. Why do you think that is?

I know this is asking a lot out of you, but would you mind showing me a map of human anatomy with the "God antenna" clearly identified?
(November 18, 2013 at 5:23 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote:

Majority view doesn't equal reality.

Usually quite the opposite.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 39988 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17044 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7230 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13611 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 16736 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7773 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 101578 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Theists: would you view the truth? robvalue 154 18380 December 25, 2016 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why are you Against Homosexuality (to theists) ScienceAf 107 16599 September 2, 2016 at 2:59 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Theists Hate Being Parodied Even More Than They Hate "Sin" Minimalist 14 4163 April 21, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: GUBU