Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quantum Mechanics PROVE afterlife!
Quantum Mechanics PROVE afterlife!
Interesting article...a lot of interpreting what you want to see. But I thought it was a cute read. For give me of my ignorance I do not nkow the philosophical terminologies with all this, but enjoy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...ntist.html
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
RE: Quantum Mechanics PROVE afterlife!
This is literally nothing new. It is the same misconception about what philosophy seems to say with respect to scientific findings. It is literally "if a tree falls in the forest..."
[Image: giphy.gif]
Quantum immortality is not exactly an afterlife. What school of physics did that guy go to? The Deepak Chopra School of New Age Woo?
Let's see...

First, note that there are no real arguments. It's just a collection of assertions. Both the examples are non sequiturs. Secondly, it's not quantum physics; it's not even philosophy; it's some sort of new agey psuedo-philosophical woo. Finally, Robert Lanza isn't a quantum physicist, he's a medical doctor (source: Wikipedia).
(November 22, 2013 at 12:08 pm)bladevalant546 Wrote: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...ntist.html

It's definitely entertaining if you don't take it seriously.
(November 23, 2013 at 11:02 pm)Michael Schubert Wrote:
(November 22, 2013 at 12:08 pm)bladevalant546 Wrote: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...ntist.html

It's definitely entertaining if you don't take it seriously.

My grandmother had a saying...if it doesn't make great science, at least it will make great science fiction
My problems with the article:

"...claims scientist" Okay, why the fuck do I care then? I've heard a biologist (a Christian Creationist, of course) essentially claim biological evolution was nonsense. Why should I care of mere claims?

Further, all this guy is doing (as far as I can tell from the article) is ripping off a bunch of philosophical ideas from Immanuel Kant, Rene Descartes and Galileo, then mixing it in with some Deepak Chopra-esque quantum woo. Even worse, he seems to take for granted the Many-World Interpretation. Although I think it's possibly true (I'd favor it to some extent, in fact), the way the article presents it is as if it's this accepted thing among physicists, which is bullshit.

Even worse, the article says that the famous Double Slit experiments are influenced by people observing it. BULLSHIT. The way to make to quantum mechanical effects to disappear is to place a particle detector, not just look in the direction of the photon. -sigh- Can he at least get stuff in his own field correct? The article further screws up by calling Lanza's idea a 'theory'. Fuck, how many times has this been explained? >:l
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
It seems like this guy is a very good biologist and a piss poor physicist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If Videos and Testimony Prove Faith Healing Why Not Chee? Jenny A 3 633 March 12, 2018 at 9:18 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Quantum Consiousness Combanitorics 10 2129 November 1, 2015 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Alex K
Question Worried there might be an afterlife Razzle 35 9714 May 26, 2015 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  If there is an afterlife... Darwinian 29 11643 December 31, 2010 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb