Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Science Presume Naturalism?
Does Science Presume Naturalism?
Since I'm not very familiar with the philosophy of science, I'd figure I'd leave this question for those who are. Basically, do you think science has a commitment to metaphysical naturalism, or at least methodological naturalism?
RE: Does Science Presume Naturalism?
(December 15, 2013 at 11:05 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: Since I'm not very familiar with the philosophy of science, I'd figure I'd leave this question for those who are. Basically, do you think science has a commitment to metaphysical naturalism, or at least methodological naturalism?

"the philosophical belief that everything arises from natural properties and causes, and supernatural or spiritual explanations are excluded or discounted."

Yes, the supernatural and spiritual by definition (depends on how you define them I guess) are not quantifiable by scientific means. If they were they wouldn't be "super"natural but natural, observable, quantifiable, could be independently verified and abide by natural laws. Hence Natural. Supernatural things exist in a suspension of the natural laws. Even undiscovered ones.

A good example is dark matter, we can't do any of the above.......... not going to make scientists stop hypothesising and inquiring and assume "God did it".
(December 15, 2013 at 11:13 pm)JohnCrichton72 Wrote: A good example is dark matter, we can't do any of the above.......... not going to make scientists stop hypothesising and inquiring and assume "God did it".

Well seen as we can kind of gauge the effects of dark matter, or at least notice the significant lack of mass apparent in the universe, it's not really the same as hypothesising about gods.
Yes, science proceeds on the basis of methodological naturalism, precisely because the focus of its study is the natural world. This is as it should be. The problem is when some people, like Mr. Crichton, confuse this with ontological naturalism, i.e. "the philosophical belief...". Ontological naturalism is not a scientific position.
(December 15, 2013 at 11:20 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(December 15, 2013 at 11:13 pm)JohnCrichton72 Wrote: A good example is dark matter, we can't do any of the above.......... not going to make scientists stop hypothesising and inquiring and assume "God did it".

Well seen as we can kind of gauge the effects of dark matter, or at least notice the significant lack of mass apparent in the universe, it's not really the same as hypothesising about gods.

I know, my point being lack of an explanation warrants one in the scientific view. Supernatural claims cannot be examined using any of the aforementioned and are resistant to explanation, hence supernatural. You can only assume supernatural cause as a result, unless you choose to be intellectually dishonest.

When you can weigh and measure (and feel wanting) supernatural claims it is no longer supernatural. It is debunked.
(December 15, 2013 at 11:05 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: Since I'm not very familiar with the philosophy of science, I'd figure I'd leave this question for those who are. Basically, do you think science has a commitment to metaphysical naturalism, or at least methodological naturalism?

It depends what you define as "natural." I think any theory that can be interfaced through physical observations can be studied scientifically. So things like ESP, miracles, faith, etc. are perfectly viable candidates for scientific study, since you can establish purely physical expectations for observation.
(December 15, 2013 at 11:25 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Yes, science proceeds on the basis of methodological naturalism, precisely because the focus of its study is the natural world. This is as it should be. The problem is when some people, like Mr. Crichton, confuse this with ontological naturalism, i.e. "the philosophical belief...". Ontological naturalism is not a scientific position.

Quite right, apologies.

Curious mind;

Would you not first have to hypothesise to derive the methodology, which would imply a philosophical beginning to all scientific enquiry?

If so;

Methodological naturalism is just applying a working theory to ontological naturalism, as to discern it's validity. I don't see how, if this is the case, ontological naturalism is any less scientific.
As an aside, I'd also say that any religious inquiry not based on naturalism is horseshit, since it shows disrespect to the physical clues with a God would (in theory) have left for us to unravel. I like the idea of God as the "Mystery X quantity" and science as the pursuit of discovering what that quantity is. I'm not sure whether I'd say the final discoveries about the universe would finally remove the mystery, and make the word "God" irrelevant-- or complete all knowledge, and finally provide a definition of God that actually accords with reality. Semantics, I guess.
(December 16, 2013 at 12:30 am)JohnCrichton72 Wrote:
(December 15, 2013 at 11:25 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Yes, science proceeds on the basis of methodological naturalism, precisely because the focus of its study is the natural world. This is as it should be. The problem is when some people, like Mr. Crichton, confuse this with ontological naturalism, i.e. "the philosophical belief...". Ontological naturalism is not a scientific position.

Quite right, apologies.

Curious mind;

Would you not first have to hypothesise to derive the methodology, which would imply a philosophical beginning to all scientific enquiry?

If so;

Methodological naturalism is just applying a working theory to ontological naturalism, as to discern it's validity. I don't see how, if this is the case, ontological naturalism is any less scientific.

There's an interesting lecture that William James gave on a related subject. FallenToReason quoted it a while back, but I don't recall the title.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-17937-po...#pid420042

(March 24, 2013 at 2:08 pm)rasetsu Wrote: The work in question is "The Will To Believe" by William James, being a lecture he gave in 1896. The paragraph cited is in section two of this copy. The point of the lecture may be helpful as well, so that one knows the terrain in advance.

Wikipedia Wrote:"The Will to Believe" is a lecture by William James, first published in 1896, which defends, in certain cases, the adoption of a belief without prior evidence of its truth. In particular, James is concerned in this lecture about defending the rationality of religious faith even lacking sufficient evidence of religious truth.

James' central argument in "The Will to Believe" hinges on the idea that access to the evidence for whether or not certain beliefs are true depends crucially upon first adopting those beliefs without evidence. As an example, James argues that it can be rational to have unsupported faith in one's own ability to accomplish tasks that require confidence. Importantly, James points out that this is the case even for pursuing scientific inquiry. James then argues that like belief in one's own ability to accomplish a difficult task, religious faith can also be rational even if one at the time lacks evidence for the truth of one's religious belief.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 16, 2013 at 12:30 am)JohnCrichton72 Wrote:

Quite right, apologies.

Curious mind;

If so;

Not exactly methodological naturalism confines inquiry to empically verifiable phenomena. It leaves aside metaphysical questions like ontology.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your position on naturalism robvalue 125 16641 November 26, 2016 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  Presumption of naturalism Captain Scarlet 18 3551 September 15, 2015 at 10:49 am
Last Post: robvalue
  On naturalism and consciousness FallentoReason 291 44114 September 15, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: dissily mordentroge
  "Knockdown" Argument Against Naturalism Mudhammam 16 5564 January 2, 2014 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism: A Refutation MindForgedManacle 0 1068 November 21, 2013 at 10:22 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  rational naturalism is impossible! Rational AKD 112 36090 November 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: TheBeardedDude
  Argument from perpetual identity against naturalism. Mystic 58 11947 March 24, 2013 at 10:02 am
Last Post: Mystic
  Response to Arcanus on Metaphysical Naturalism Tiberius 11 4338 March 31, 2010 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: RedFish