Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Presumption of naturalism
Presumption of naturalism
The idea of the supernatural is useful only insofar it can be said to offer a better explanation than the natural.  However, it is impossible to assert that any event in the universe is a supernatural act:

- Firstly one would need to demonstrate the validity of the measurement (in that the observation was not flawed)
- Secondly if one overcame that hurdle, one would need to establish that there was no currently understood natural antecedent cause 
- Thirdly if one overcame that hurdle, parsimony would require you to rule out any undiscovered element of the natural (requiring human omniscience).

Given that we do not have omniscience and only empirical examples where the supernatural has been replaced by the natural by better observations, refining of current natural processes and discovery of new natural phenomona, we are only justified in presuming naturalism is true.  Thus supernaturalism is false.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
RE: Presumption of naturalism
"supernatural" is only defined as being inexplicable by natural law or "outside" natural law. The current hypotheses surrounding the beginning of the universe are currently supernatural or outside natural laws or require the natural laws to "not apply". Supernatural can be a place holder until a verifiable natural law can explain the perceived phenomena but super-naturalism in itself is not false.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(September 14, 2015 at 4:51 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: The idea of the supernatural is useful only insofar it can be said to offer a better explanation than the natural.  However, it is impossible to assert that any event in the universe is a supernatural act:

- Firstly one would need to demonstrate the validity of the measurement (in that the observation was not flawed)
- Secondly if one overcame that hurdle, one would need to establish that there was no currently understood natural antecedent cause 
- Thirdly if one overcame that hurdle, parsimony would require you to rule out any undiscovered element of the natural (requiring human omniscience).

Given that we do not have omniscience and only empirical examples where the supernatural has been replaced by the natural by better observations, refining of current natural processes and discovery of new natural phenomona, we are only justified in presuming naturalism is true.  Thus supernaturalism is false.

I think a look at the etymology of the word is in order.  The "nat" in "supernatural" means birth.  What to make of this?  It means that things are created which did not exist, at least in form. Space and time, being the framework IN WHICH things are brought into being when they once didn't exist, cannot themselves be said to be created without reference to the supernatural. So if there is nothing beyond the universe, the universe is itself supernatural.

If it was created by something, then you have a semantic decision to make.  Either it turns out that the creator of the universe is supernatural, or you say that whatever created the universe is part of a kind of super-framework, and is still therefore natural.  But I'd argue that's just bully semantics: in the latter case, it could be that things could influence our universe which we could never observe or really know about; and that is basically what people mean by the words.
(September 14, 2015 at 5:09 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: "supernatural" is only defined as being inexplicable by natural law or "outside" natural law. The current hypotheses surrounding the beginning of the universe are currently supernatural or outside natural laws or require the natural laws to "not apply". Supernatural can be a place holder until a verifiable natural law can explain the perceived phenomena but super-naturalism in itself is not false.
In such cases, wouldn't the word "unexplained" would be sufficient and less ambiguous? To class something as "outside natural law" implies we have a comprehensive knowledge of natural law, which we clearly do not. We probably never will.

I don't believe supernatural has an agreed, meaningful/useful definition.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 14, 2015 at 5:09 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: "supernatural" is only defined as being inexplicable by natural law or "outside" natural law.  The current hypotheses surrounding the beginning of the universe are currently supernatural or outside natural laws or require the natural laws to "not apply".  Supernatural can be a place holder until a verifiable natural law can explain the perceived phenomena but super-naturalism in itself is not false.

Sorry, but why do we need a placeholder for the beginning of the universe at all, much less one as loaded as "supernatural"? Isn't "insufficient data," a cogent enough description of the state of affairs?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(September 14, 2015 at 5:09 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: "supernatural" is only defined as being inexplicable by natural law or "outside" natural law.  The current hypotheses surrounding the beginning of the universe are currently supernatural or outside natural laws or require the natural laws to "not apply".  Supernatural can be a place holder until a verifiable natural law can explain the perceived phenomena but super-naturalism in itself is not false.

By definition Supernatural is not of the natural and thus it cannot be a placeholder.  And thats the point we would need to be omniscient to declare the supernatural as meaningful and valid.  As it is not possible for us to be omniscient we must declare supernaturalism to be false. 

I do not agree that any current hypotheses supports a supernatural "beginning" to the universe.  Theists have a conjecture and reasons for thinking it is true, but these arguments are deeply unconvincing (including the theists poster child - the Kalam).  It is not the same thing as it being true and it certainly isn't a testable hypotheses.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.

What is natural law, lkingpinl?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(September 15, 2015 at 1:51 am)Esquilax Wrote:

Sorry, but why do we need a placeholder for the beginning of the universe at all, much less one as loaded as "supernatural"? Isn't "insufficient data," a cogent enough description of the state of affairs?

Certainly is.  I think the default position is "unknown", "Unexplained", "insufficient data", etc.  What I said was the current hypotheses presented for the beginning (like those of Hawking) are "supernatural" or in violation of current known natural law.
(September 15, 2015 at 8:47 am)Alex K Wrote:

What is natural law, lkingpinl?

The natural laws that govern the universe and its properties, that are testable and repeatable.  As I mentioned, the current presumptions and hypotheses presented for the beginning of the universe (most notably by Hawking) require the breakdown of the natural laws and that is why I call it "supernatural".  Now granted, it is of course conjecture, postulating unknowns, but the current best theories out there can be defined as supernatural by it's mere definition.
(September 15, 2015 at 1:42 am)robvalue Wrote:
In such cases, wouldn't the word "unexplained" would be sufficient and less ambiguous? To class something as "outside natural law" implies we have a comprehensive knowledge of natural law, which we clearly do not. We probably never will.

I don't believe supernatural has an agreed, meaningful/useful definition.

Rob, I tend to see a recurring pattern with you referring to unanimous definitions.  Do you believe truth to be relative?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your position on naturalism robvalue 125 16625 November 26, 2016 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  On naturalism and consciousness FallentoReason 291 44112 September 15, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: dissily mordentroge
  "Knockdown" Argument Against Naturalism Mudhammam 16 5564 January 2, 2014 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Does Science Presume Naturalism? MindForgedManacle 14 3748 December 28, 2013 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism: A Refutation MindForgedManacle 0 1068 November 21, 2013 at 10:22 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  rational naturalism is impossible! Rational AKD 112 36089 November 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: TheBeardedDude
  Argument from perpetual identity against naturalism. Mystic 58 11946 March 24, 2013 at 10:02 am
Last Post: Mystic
  Response to Arcanus on Metaphysical Naturalism Tiberius 11 4338 March 31, 2010 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: RedFish