Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A sword in a field.
A sword in a field.
I've seen a lot of videos on atheism (darkmatter2525 is fantastic). This one however Is my favourite
http://youtu.be/IWoyJrAAL-U

I have a real problem with this. It really is excellent.

Thought I'd share it. Well worth 4 minutes of your time whether you are theist or atheist.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
RE: A sword in a field.
Heh, nice.
What movie was that from?
Joan of arc.
Sith code
It is called confirmation bias.
I probably shouldn't say this, but I can't help but to think that the OP has a tinge of hypocrisy when knowing that the same member wrote (emphasis mine):

(November 18, 2013 at 8:23 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: And yes, I've constructed my own version of Christianity. I've cherry picked, redacted, reinterpreted and selectively edited it to fit the small space between my ears, my preformed world view and my personal morality. And you know what? I think each and every Christian has done the same. Otherwise, logically, we would all share the same views on everything. And we so palpably don't! You think there are arguments here, you should see what goes down in the private bits of Christian forums!

... and ...

(November 18, 2013 at 9:29 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: I mask the truth with a comforting lie (or perhaps model is a better word) ... and I spend all day looking forward to going home.

... and in this thread he posts a video on confirmation bias and says that "I have real problem with this" as if he wants to fix the problem. But, ironically, the quotes above and many other comments he wrote in his other posts suggest that he rather likes cherry-picking and selectively editing the Bible to make it fit with preconceived world view. He likes indulging in such confirmation biases and "masking the truth." He finds comfort in doing all of that stuff, knowingly and purposely.

Plus, I don't even think that a real theist would identify his religious beliefs as "confirmation bias" if he really believes what he claims to believe. That doesn't make sense to me. Dodgy
Seemingly not blind to to any of the faults of Christianity and yet, a believer.

Yup - Jacob's a mystery all right.

OTOH - if they were all like him how much better would the world be?

As far as I can see he recognizes his belief as a comfort blanket - its a cold and lonely universe out there - who would deny a man his blanket, particularly if it isn't even real.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
(December 24, 2013 at 6:56 am)Rayaan Wrote: I probably shouldn't say this, but I can't help but to think that the OP has a tinge of hypocrisy when knowing that the same member wrote (emphasis mine):

(November 18, 2013 at 8:23 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: And yes, I've constructed my own version of Christianity. I've cherry picked, redacted, reinterpreted and selectively edited it to fit the small space between my ears, my preformed world view and my personal morality. And you know what? I think each and every Christian has done the same. Otherwise, logically, we would all share the same views on everything. And we so palpably don't! You think there are arguments here, you should see what goes down in the private bits of Christian forums!

... and ...

(November 18, 2013 at 9:29 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: I mask the truth with a comforting lie (or perhaps model is a better word) ... and I spend all day looking forward to going home.

... and in this thread he posts a video on confirmation bias and says that "I have real problem with this" as if he wants to fix the problem. But, ironically, the quotes above and many other comments he wrote in his other posts suggest that he rather likes cherry-picking and selectively editing the Bible to make it fit with preconceived world view. He likes indulging in such confirmation biases and "masking the truth." He finds comfort in doing all of that stuff, knowingly and purposely.

Plus, I don't even think that a real theist would identify his religious beliefs as "confirmation bias" if he really believes what he claims to believe. That doesn't make sense to me. Dodgy

Alright already Rayaan! I got the message! You don't like my approach! Thing is, it doesn't NEED to make sense to you. You Don't have to like it. If you don't think I'm a REAL theist, feel free to draw your own conclusions about what you think I am (whatever that is)

I have a real problem with the video because it challenges me. Because yes, I can see where I have done this. And yet I like it because it's intelligent and insightful. That I want to fix the problem is your inference.

What I am Rayaan is aware of my own bias, and cherry picking and yes, inconsistency. I strongly suspect we all have such things in our thought processes.

If you have something you want to say, by all means come out and say it. Popping up in every other thread with a charge of hypocrisy is becoming tiresome and it seems you are skirting something. You don't seem to consider me a theist, nor yet, an atheist. I've not claimed to have the answers nor tried to graft my beliefs onto anyone else. What is it you think I am?
Sith code
It is called cognitive dissonance....
(December 24, 2013 at 10:01 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote:
(December 24, 2013 at 6:56 am)Rayaan Wrote: I probably shouldn't say this, but I can't help but to think that the OP has a tinge of hypocrisy when knowing that the same member wrote (emphasis mine):

... and ...

Alright already Rayaan! I got the message! You don't like my approach! Thing is, it doesn't NEED to make sense to you. You Don't have to like it. If you don't think I'm a REAL theist, feel free to draw your own conclusions about what you think I am (whatever that is)

I have a real problem with the video because it challenges me. Because yes, I can see where I have done this. And yet I like it because it's intelligent and insightful. That I want to fix the problem is your inference.

What I am Rayaan is aware of my own bias, and cherry picking and yes, inconsistency. I strongly suspect we all have such things in our thought processes.

If you have something you want to say, by all means come out and say it. Popping up in every other thread with a charge of hypocrisy is becoming tiresome and it seems you are skirting something. You don't seem to consider me a theist, nor yet, an atheist. I've not claimed to have the answers nor tried to graft my beliefs onto anyone else. What is it you think I am?

I'll go make some popcorn while you two have at it.

You're both delusional, so this ought to be fun. Hilarious
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(December 24, 2013 at 10:24 am)LastPoet Wrote: It is called cognitive dissonance....

I'm aware of that Wink.
Sith code

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 7085 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda