Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 6:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Daniel Dennett
Daniel Dennett
"The kindly God who lovingly fashioned each and every one of us and sprinkled the sky with shining stars for our delight -- that God is, like Santa Claus, a myth of childhood, not anything [that] a sane, undeluded adult could literally believe in. That God must either be turned into a symbol for something less concrete or abandoned altogether."
Daniel Dennett
"Religions do make claims about the universe--the same kinds of claims that scientists make, except they're usually false."

Richard Dawkins
RE: Daniel Dennett
Nice quote! Clap
Only sheep need a shepherd.
But Santa Clause is at best/ worst a lie. God is an 'adult' or coherent concept worthy of serious consideration. Only a delusional adult would dismiss it as childish.
Neither can be proven Fr0d0, so as an adult, I'll pass on both delusions until proven to be non-delusional. Tongue
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
(November 19, 2009 at 6:00 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: But Santa Clause is at best/ worst a lie. God is an 'adult' or coherent concept worthy of serious consideration. Only a delusional adult would dismiss it as childish.

Santa Claus never sends people to any hell or motivates holy wars. Santa Claus is a symbol for the best in human nature. Yet we are mature enough to understand that he is imaginary. Can we not understand the symbolism of a deity as well, even with the horrible acts attributed to said deity?
Well that would be a particularly warped way of looking at it, but of course you know that very well. Point stands, God is a coherent concept.
(November 20, 2009 at 2:33 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Well that would be a particularly warped way of looking at it, but of course you know that very well. Point stands, God is a coherent concept.

More so than santa?

When I was little, every year I recieved 'proof' of santa in the form of presents at the end of my bed.
This being my favourite sort of 'proof'.
My parents, people I trusted, told me that santa was real and the rest of society joined in with the deceit.
I believed in santa.

When I discovered that santa wasnt real the fact I still got the presents mitigated the shock.

The diference between santa and god is.....?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(November 20, 2009 at 2:33 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Well that would be a particularly warped way of looking at it, but of course you know that very well. Point stands, God is a coherent concept.

What's "Warped" is someone killing in the name of a "god".. What's warped is uneducated backwoods salesman (Preachers) telling people to pretty much ignore science and find the answers in a 2000+ year old fairy tale book.

What's warped is someone telling the other they are going to be burning in hell for all eternity in pain and agony for being gay or better yet, for simply being human, unless of course you believe this, this, and this.

As an adult believing in a "god" is by far, not, coherent. However, as a child, you would be correct.
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
Quote:God is an 'adult' or coherent concept worthy of serious consideration.

Absurd comment...even by your standards. God is an irrelevancy.
(November 21, 2009 at 2:48 pm)Samson Wrote: What's "Warped" is someone killing in the name of a "god".. What's warped is uneducated backwoods salesman (Preachers) telling people to pretty much ignore science and find the answers in a 2000+ year old fairy tale book.

What's warped is someone telling the other they are going to be burning in hell for all eternity in pain and agony for being gay or better yet, for simply being human, unless of course you believe this, this, and this.

Quoted For Truth
(November 21, 2009 at 3:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote: God is an irrelevancy.

You don't understand it is all. God (insert your own hypothesis here) is entirely relevant.
(November 21, 2009 at 2:01 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: The diference between santa and god is.....?

You can still believe in God

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate:Hitchens, Harris, Dennett vs D'Souza, Boteach, Taleb. leo-rcc 4 4074 January 5, 2010 at 11:38 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Dan Dennett - The evolution of confusion. leo-rcc 2 1319 November 1, 2009 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Secularone
  Daniel C. Dennett Kyuuketsuki 3 1981 August 18, 2009 at 6:49 am
Last Post: Retorth
  Dan Dennett: Cute, sexy, sweet, funny. leo-rcc 0 1536 March 16, 2009 at 11:49 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
Information Dan Dennett on free will and determinism Edwardo Piet 5 3168 January 28, 2009 at 8:36 pm
  Dan Dennett interview. Edwardo Piet 0 1548 December 14, 2008 at 11:42 am