Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daniel C. Dennett
Daniel C. Dennett
"If you want to *reason* about faith, and offer a reasoned (and reason-responsive) defence of faith as an extra category of belief worthy of special consideration, I'm eager to [participate]. I certainly grant the existence of the phenomenon of faith; what I want to see is a reasoned ground for taking faith as a *way of getting to the truth*, and not, say, just as a way people comfort themselves and each other (a worthy function that I do take seriously)" ("Darwin's Dangerous Idea")

"It [evolution] unifies all of biology and the history of our planet into a single grand story. Like Gulliver tied down in Lilliput, it is unbudgeable, not because of some one or two huge chains of argument that might, hope against hope, have weak links in them, but because it is securely tied by thousands of threads of evidence anchoring it to virtually every other area of human knowledge" ("Darwin's Dangerous Idea")

"New discoveries may conceivably lead to dramatic, even "revolutionary" *shifts* in the Darwinian theory, but the hope that it will be "refuted" by some shattering breakthrough is about as reasonable as the hope that we will return to a geocentric vision and discard Copernicus" ("Darwin's Dangerous Idea")

"The evidence of evolution pours in, not only from geology, palaeontology, biogeography, and anatomy (Darwin's chief sources), but from molecular biology and every other branch of the life sciences. To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of evolution is simply ignorant - inexcusably ignorant, in a world where three out of four people have learned to read and write. Doubts about the power of Darwin's idea of natural selection to explain this evolutionary process are still intellectually respectable, however, although the burden of proof for such scepticism has become immense..." ("Darwin's Dangerous Idea")

"The fundamental core of contemporary Darwinism, the theory of DNA-based reproduction and evolution, is now beyond dispute among scientists. It demonstrates its power every day, contributing crucially to the explanation of planet-sized facts of geology and meteorology, through middle-sized facts of ecology and agronomy, down to the latest microscopic facts of genetic engineering" ("Darwin's Dangerous Idea")

"The kindly God who lovingly fashioned each and every one of us and sprinkled the sky with shining stars for our delight - that God is, like Santa Claus, a myth of childhood, not anything a sane, undeluded adult could literally believe in." ("Darwin's Dangerous Idea")

"Would you be willing to be operated on by a surgeon you tells you that whenever a little voice in him tells him to disregard his medical training, he listens to the little voice? I know it passes in polite company to let people have it both ways, and under most circumstances I wholeheartedly cooperate with this benign agreement. But we're seriously trying to get at the truth here, and if you think that this common but unspoken understanding about faith is anything better than socially useful obfuscation to avoid mutual embarrassment and loss of face, you have either seen much more deeply into the issue that any philosopher ever has (for none has ever come up with a good defence of this) or you are kidding yourself" ("Darwin's Dangerous Idea")

"You are sightseeing with a loved one in a foreign land, and your loved one is brutally murdered in front of your eyes. At the trial it turns out that in this land friends of the accused may be called as witnesses for the defence, testifying about their faith in his innocence. You watch the parade of his moist-eyed friends, obviously sincere, proudly proclaiming their undying faith in the innocence of the man you saw commit the terrible deed. The judge listens intently and respectfully, obviously more moved by this outpouring than by all the evidence presented by the prosecution. Is this not a nightmare? Would you be willing to live in such a land?" ("Darwin's Dangerous Idea")

"You must not expect me to go along with your defence of faith as a path to truth if at any point you appeal to the very dispensation you are supposedly trying to justify. Before you appeal to faith when reason has you backed into a corner, think about whether you really want to abandon reason when reason is on your side"

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: Daniel C. Dennett
Can I ask what site you got these quotes from Kyu?

EvF
(August 17, 2009 at 10:22 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Can I ask what site you got these quotes from Kyu?

Well you can ask but since I sourced them from a word document on my PC, a list of compiled quotes I've picked up over 10 years of debating it's unlikely I'll be able to tell you where I originally got them from.

What you can see though is that they are almost all from a book of his called, "Darwin's Dangerous Idea" Smile

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
I absolutely loved the 2nd last quote, about having a loved one murdered in a foreign land. It really makes a lot of sense. Smile
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate:Hitchens, Harris, Dennett vs D'Souza, Boteach, Taleb. leo-rcc 4 4108 January 5, 2010 at 11:38 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Daniel Dennett 1129banks 26 10231 December 3, 2009 at 3:16 am
Last Post: macskeptic
  Dan Dennett - The evolution of confusion. leo-rcc 2 1325 November 1, 2009 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Secularone
  Dan Dennett: Cute, sexy, sweet, funny. leo-rcc 0 1560 March 16, 2009 at 11:49 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
Information Dan Dennett on free will and determinism Edwardo Piet 5 3187 January 28, 2009 at 8:36 pm
  Dan Dennett interview. Edwardo Piet 0 1575 December 14, 2008 at 11:42 am