Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why did God create Evil?
Rainbow 
Why did God create Evil?
How can an all-powerful (and good) God can allow evil to exist? If God is good, how can he will evil? If he is not good, how is he God? This paradox has perplexed critical thinkers though the ages. For many, it has been a stumbling block to religion. Some believers choose to ignore the problem because of its apparent insolubility.

For the purposes of this discussion, think of God as the Creator. Clearly, the creation is a mix of good and evil. In life, there are joys and sorrows, love and anger. But God is considered to be all good in himself.

Many have said that evil exists, but is not promoted by God. For example, when a person commits a spiteful act, he is drawing evil to himself and God plays no part. Good, on the other hand, is promoted by God so that evil is attributable to the creature and good to God.

Why would an all-powerful God need to "promote" anything? Because people have free will and they can choose to draw near to or away from God. Why would God create people with free will? Because God created people in his own likeness, and God himself has free will.

Thus, one answer to the question, "Why did God create Evil?" begins to take shape. God created a world in which people could act freely- love freely, think freely, create feely. That is, God created a world in which his creation could act like he does. As much is put in the serpent's mouth when he tempts Eve: "For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." (Gen 3:5). In case you think this argument is blasphemous, consider Jesus' words in defense of the charges of blasphemy leveled against him by the Pharisees: "Jesus answered them, "Has it not been written in your Law, 'I SAID, YOU ARE GODS '?" (John 10:34).

Without evil, is there good? No, because the concepts are relative to each other. The presence of evil allows for the manifestation of good, that is, the manifestation of God.

But still, how can God be thought of as all-good given the existence of evil in his creation? Consider the sun. It is the source and sustainer of all life on earth. Because of the sun, people love and have children (without the sun, this could not happen). But also because of the sun, people murder and torture each other. And yet the sun is unquestionably good. God is like the sun, "He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." (Mathew 5:45)

<snip>
RE: Why did God create Evil?
Do we still have the ability to think, move, and act freely in heaven? If so, what keeps evil out of heaven? If not, what part of us still remains? Why would I want to go to heaven if I have to be lobotomized to do so?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

If good cannot exist without evil, then god wasn't all good prior to creating us, was he? Because that is impossible. So god isn't all good all the time. He at least had to be evil back when he was all alone. So after creating us, he gives us the burden of having to deal with evil so that he can wash his hands of it? Lol and you worship this thing?
(January 5, 2014 at 11:02 am)Chad32 Wrote: Do we still have the ability to think, move, and act freely in heaven? If so, what keeps evil out of heaven? If not, what part of us still remains? Why would I want to go to heaven if I have to be lobotomized to do so?

People are free to do as they will in heaven. People in heaven want to to good though. That's why they're in heaven, or that is where heaven is. Evil people are kept out of heaven because the atmosphere is noxious to them.
(January 5, 2014 at 11:20 am)thepractice Wrote:
(January 5, 2014 at 11:02 am)Chad32 Wrote: Do we still have the ability to think, move, and act freely in heaven? If so, what keeps evil out of heaven? If not, what part of us still remains? Why would I want to go to heaven if I have to be lobotomized to do so?

People are free to do as they will in heaven. People in heaven want to to good though. That's why they're in heaven, or that is where heaven is. Evil people are kept out of heaven because the atmosphere is noxious to them.

So you've been there and tested the air?
Judging from the most important factor in getting to heaven, and how many converts are just about to die when they do, I doubt that everyone in heaven is a good person.

If we're the same there as here, then why doesn't Yahweh just get rid of heaven here. Obviously he can make free willed people without sin. Mary and Jesus supposedly had free will and never sinned. What's the deal here?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Am I the only one who's looked at the source? He's copying and pasting the OP and the reply word for word.

I wonder if this is against forum rules ...
Quote:This paradox has perplexed critical thinkers though the ages.

Only because the premise of the argument is that there is some sort of "god."

Drop that rather silly premise and all becomes clear. Man defines "good" and "evil" according to who calls the shots.

The rest of it is a crock.
Every time I cum on a cross,
God sheds a tear with pride.
For every day I find salad to toss,
God is there to abide.
(January 5, 2014 at 11:22 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: So you've been there and tested the air?

Angel Cloud I'm just speculating of course, like everyone else.

(January 5, 2014 at 11:31 am)Chad32 Wrote: Judging from the most important factor in getting to heaven, and how many converts are just about to die when they do, I doubt that everyone in heaven is a good person.

If we're the same there as here, then why doesn't Yahweh just get rid of heaven here. Obviously he can make free willed people without sin. Mary and Jesus supposedly had free will and never sinned. What's the deal here?

What do you think are the most important factors for getting into heaven?

Jesus was tempted just like everyone else.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil God and anti-theodicy FrustratedFool 32 2355 August 21, 2023 at 9:28 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6205 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 872 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do people make evil? Interaktive 7 712 August 8, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why did God get rid of the Trilobites? Jehanne 41 2921 October 24, 2021 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why did God allow his words to be changed? Fake Messiah 53 4032 October 23, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheism, Gnosticism & the Problem of Evil Seax 86 5871 April 7, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [Serious] Good vs Evil Losty 84 10269 March 8, 2021 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1345 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Bishop setting up group to fight off 'evil forces' and recite prayers of exorcism Marozz 14 2570 October 11, 2018 at 5:19 am
Last Post: OakTree500