Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what?
So what?
If God in the generic sense existed, why should anyone care? I'm studying a little about the pragmatists approach to truth claims. It says that a statement is meaningless if it doesn't make any difference on how one experiences reality or how one would make choices if that statement were known to be true.

Let's say the statement "God exists" is a true statement. So what? Why does knowing he exists matters?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: So what?
(January 11, 2014 at 2:32 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: If God in the generic sense existed, why should anyone care? I'm studying a little about the pragmatists approach to truth claims. It says that a statement is meaningless if it doesn't make any difference on how one experiences reality or how one would make choices if that statement were known to be true.

Let's say the statement "God exists" is a true statement. So what? Why does knowing he exists matters?

because it affects what is real. it is poison to knowledge, i mean theres people who kill in the name of god, but who cares right?
xR34P3Rx
it isn't in our nature to think of a God, it is in our nature to seek answers and the concept of God is most influenced in this world.
so what? so what?

so what? so what? You boring little cunt!
(January 11, 2014 at 3:21 pm)wolf39us Wrote: so what? so what?

so what? so what? You boring little cunt!

"boring little cunt" is a self-contradictory statement.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
I don't know why but I immediately thought of this song

(January 11, 2014 at 3:27 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: I don't know why but I immediately thought of this song

Why does the guy on the left have a death grip on his Johnson?

Thinking
and I thought of this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XoyDqFy5pU
So much for this thread...sigh.
My ignore list

Giggle
I should clarify that I'm assuming the person who knows God exists would make a *rational* choice on how to behave based on knowing that God exists. Some crazy person might realize "god exists therefore I will have a cheeseburger" but that's not a rational conclusion to have if you knew God existed.
My ignore list