Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are we still using coal?
Why are we still using coal?
I've been getting mail and calls about some politician that I shouldn't vote for, because he's trying to reduce the coal industry. I thought coal was like some outdated fuel source that's both hazardous to the environment and hazardous for the workers. I asked the guy that called me why we're even using coal, but he didn't really say much. He just wanted me to vote pro coal.

For some reason I thought we were beyond coal nowadays. Hell we're almost beyond oil, aren't we?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: Why are we still using coal?
(January 12, 2014 at 2:24 pm)Chad32 Wrote: For some reason I thought we were beyond coal nowadays. Hell we're almost beyond oil, aren't we?
Nope.

Don't worry, in a few decades we'll be forced to move beyond oil and coal because it won't exist anymore.
Yeah, we'll run out in time. I'm pro renewable energy, though it's not perfect. I just thought that we didn't have coal factories and stuff anymore.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(January 12, 2014 at 2:32 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Yeah, we'll run out in time. I'm pro renewable energy, though it's not perfect. I just thought that we didn't have coal factories and stuff anymore.

Oh we have tons of coal factories. The world is mostly still on coal and nonrenewable fuels. China especially, last I checked, which was last year.
I wish we were beyond coal...
Coal is the least expensive energy source available.
If/when oil runs out, well be using coal.
Nuclear fission is being frowned upon, after Fukushima, so oil is being burnt more than ever and coal goes with it.
Even if nuclear wasn't being avoided, there isn't enough Uranium on the Earth's crust to last a long enough time...

Coal is indeed the worst environmental offender of the list of current energy sources, but, after a given level, economic pressures trump the environment and coal becomes the "best" option...

I surely hope the Nuclear Fusion group pulls through and delivers it as a viable option within the next 3 decades.
China is eager to implement this technology and they are the one country in the world with the most usage of coal... per capita.

[yeah, no citations, this is all from memory, so you google it]
Coal is cheap to mine (roughly half the price of natural gas for a given amount of energy output), stupendously plentiful (The US has enough to supply the world for 500 years, Russia and china has an like amount), and tend to occur in deposits in area of geopolitical stability near center of energy demand (US, Russia, china, Germany, Britain, etc).

Unless we move off of fossil fuel all together, coal is likely to outlast all other fossil fuel by a big margin. At present rate of consumption, oil and natural gas reserves might last another century even with fracking. At the end of that century the coal reserves would still be barely touched.

That's why regardless of its high greenhouse gas emission (roughly twice that of natural gas for given amount of energy output) it will like always be a remain a substantial part of the world's energy sources for a long time.
[Image: 2013-11-29-193801eco.jpg]

'Nuff said.
The Hunger Games are set way into the future, and they still mine coal then. So we'll obviously be needing coal for a long time.
I've read articles talking about replacing nonrenewables with renewables and they had actual figures and calculations and how things are to be done, and they also took into account how much we can harvest with current technology. Mostly using solar and hydro power instead of nonrenewables along with some wind power, it honestly looked feasible. But it doesn't take political factors into account, needless to say.
Like it or not coal is cheap, And readily available. Which translates into affordable energy. If we stopped using coal only the rich could afford power. Until it gets more expensive than alternative power sources be thankful that we have coal.

There is a day coming that affordable energy sources will be scarce unless money somehow becomes obsolete.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2174 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 622 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Take It, Or leave it, I can still say Voulez Vous Brian37 7 1104 November 29, 2018 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: adey67
  Do you know why the end of the month is still too far away? Foxaèr 15 2418 April 22, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Monica Lewinsky Still Passing the Buck Shell B 41 1758 February 28, 2018 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Unfortunately, I'm still... Gawdzilla Sama 18 1712 January 30, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Still a Christian - ask me questions/tell me about yourselves speedyj1992 194 32500 December 2, 2017 at 5:32 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Using sir and ma'am to address people... c172 54 11430 June 30, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Star Wars Rogue One is still playing in movie theaters. Jehanne 35 5234 April 18, 2017 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The "I'm getting drunk now, folks... but I'm still posting." thread. Edwardo Piet 18 2259 December 24, 2015 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet