Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 10:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bible. All or nothing?
The Bible. All or nothing?
There have been a few threads in the last few week along the lines of "Christians! Explain [weirdbiblestory]like the one about bears[/weirdbiblestory]"

I very rarely can. But that got me to thinking. Why do we (and by we I mean Christians) assume that ALL the bible is accurate*. I mean the bible says that its all accurate, but that might be one of the bits which isn't.

I have no time for the semantic and interpretive gymnastics which people go through to make the weird bits of the bible fit with modern morality. But why should it follow that just because SOME of the Bible is Fubar (and I agree that it is) that the whole shooting match is equally absurd?

*As I typed that I heard (I think) Esquilax's voice in my head saying "why should you assume ANY of it is accurate". That's a different thread Wink
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
RE: The Bible. All or nothing?
(January 12, 2014 at 4:00 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: There have been a few threads in the last few week along the lines of "Christians! Explain [weirdbiblestory]like the one about bears[/weirdbiblestory]"

I very rarely can. But that got me to thinking. Why do we (and by we I mean Christians) assume that ALL the bible is accurate*. I mean the bible says that its all accurate, but that might be one of the bits which isn't.

I have no time for the semantic and interpretive gymnastics which people go through to make the weird bits of the bible fit with modern morality. But why should it follow that just because SOME of the Bible is Fubar (and I agree that it is) that the whole shooting match is equally absurd?

*As I typed that I heard (I think) Esquilax's voice in my head saying "why should you assume ANY of it is accurate". That's a different thread Wink

I just started another CHRISTIANS PLEASE EXPLAIN "walking dead"... can u give ur input?
With a due sense of exhaustion and dread, I'll have a look.
Sith code
(January 12, 2014 at 4:00 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: There have been a few threads in the last few week along the lines of "Christians! Explain [weirdbiblestory]like the one about bears[/weirdbiblestory]"

I'm sorry Jake, but I can't help you with this. Because it was this train of thought that let me to eventually become an atheist..
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(January 12, 2014 at 4:16 pm)truthBtold Wrote: I just started another CHRISTIANS PLEASE EXPLAIN "walking dead"... can u give ur input?

And no, you do not bump your own threads like this, especially when there's (potentially) good discussion to be had in this one. That's just bad manners.. Dodgy
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I tend to agree. While the Bible is clearly not factually accurate (bats are not birds, bushes don't speak with human voice), there are bits and bobs of it while, not unique or original to the Bible, are clearly good advice:

-Treat people fairly.

-Help the poor.

-Keep an eye on your neighbour's goods.

-Gain understanding.

-Don't forsake your friends.

I don't think it matters that most of these and the other worthwhile bits are - in context - to get one in good with God. They, in and of themselves, are good advice and to reject them simple because they appear in the Bible, is, well...nutty.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
But then how do we know which ones are accurate and which aren't? As far as I know, the same standards were used on all the books to determine if they should be canonized, so if you reject some of them, you've basically rejected the whole Bible.
(January 12, 2014 at 4:35 pm)Avodaiah Wrote: But then how do we know which ones are accurate and which aren't? As far as I know, the same standards were used on all the books to determine if they should be canonized, so if you reject some of them, you've basically rejected the whole Bible.

Firstly, I'd make a distinction between "accurate" and "useful". The bible is neither a history book nor a science book. I'd describe it more than anything as a self help book (ducks).

But I just can't see how rejecting some of it means rejecting the rest of it.
Sith code
(January 12, 2014 at 4:38 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote:
(January 12, 2014 at 4:35 pm)Avodaiah Wrote: But then how do we know which ones are accurate and which aren't? As far as I know, the same standards were used on all the books to determine if they should be canonized, so if you reject some of them, you've basically rejected the whole Bible.

Firstly, I'd make a distinction between "accurate" and "useful". The bible is neither a history book nor a science book. I'd describe it more than anything as a self help book (ducks).

But I just can't see how rejecting some of it means rejecting the rest of it.
I guess it depends on the difference between the parts you accept and the ones you reject.
What is the difference for you?
(January 12, 2014 at 4:20 pm)Kayenneh Wrote:
(January 12, 2014 at 4:16 pm)truthBtold Wrote: I just started another CHRISTIANS PLEASE EXPLAIN "walking dead"... can u give ur input?

And no, you do not bump your own threads like this, especially when there's (potentially) good discussion to be had in this one. That's just bad manners.. Dodgy

Hmmm. I started this one... dont u see ... silly rabbit!!!! And il start plenty more....join in anytime

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44175 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Look! Nothing! YahwehIsTheWay 1 528 November 30, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful? Whateverist 325 67631 July 21, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Perfect, Best of Possible, or Better than Nothing: Which criterion? Hatshepsut 35 6648 May 19, 2015 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Is the bible all perfect? Dystopia 77 11502 March 10, 2015 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7472 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
Star 11 Things The Bible Bans,But You Do It Anyway (Hell awaits you all) Big Blue Sky 11 5446 July 9, 2013 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Raven
  Why do so many of you quote the bible and do nothing what says in it Phish 52 18826 March 12, 2013 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  LIVE and in HD: Nothing Erinome 24 7272 October 6, 2012 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  Something or nothing Captain Scarlet 21 7336 August 18, 2010 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Captain Scarlet