Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 3:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why would god wait?
Why would god wait?
If a christian prays to god to get rid of their cancer, and the cancer is then gone.. Christians say that god answers prayers! But if it doesnt go away for say 2 years and then its gone christians say that god finally answered the prayer. In that time of 2 years of having the cancer and all the pain and all the heart ache and stress, what possibly can be the reason that god waited while u suffered? The answer of "its all in gods plan" or "god works in mysterious ways" will not cut it in this scenario.
RE: Why would god wait?
God will answer every prayer though in some cases what he may give you is comfort and acceptance of the inevitable rather than miraculous healing.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(January 15, 2014 at 5:35 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: God will answer every prayer though in some cases what he may give you is comfort and acceptance of the inevitable rather than miraculous healing.

That just made my stomach hurt!.. answered prayers for a job.. or finding car keys.. suffering gets comfort and acceptance??
Well, why would God give them cancer just to cure it right away?
Cancer doesn't give a shit about god.
(January 15, 2014 at 6:05 pm)truthBtold Wrote: That just made my stomach hurt!.. answered prayers for a job.. or finding car keys.. suffering gets comfort and acceptance??

I think what prayer ultimately does is to help God help you do whatever it is you want to do/achieve. So perhaps you will get the self confidence to be successful in your job interview, you gain greater perceptive awareness to find your lost keys and with cancer you boost your bodies healing and recuperative abilities. Certainly people who fight cancer with a positive attitude will have a higher survival rate than those who feel hopeless and helpless. So we can say with certainty that prayer does in fact work though only a certain way to a certain point. You are going to die of something at some point and it can be any point that's the nature of life, what it will do then is prepare you for death/loss which is still of great value.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(January 15, 2014 at 7:19 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: So we can say with certainty that prayer does in fact work though only a certain way to a certain point.

Quote:If you’ve ever prayed for someone who is sick, you may actually be doing him or her harm.

Strangers’ prayers for heart-surgery patients may have had detrimental effects on those patients, according to a study conducted by a team of Harvard Medical School (HMS) researchers in conjunction with other medical experts.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2006/4...-if-youve/
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(January 15, 2014 at 7:19 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: I think what prayer ultimately does is to help God help you do whatever it is you want to do/achieve. So perhaps you will get the self confidence to be successful in your job interview, you gain greater perceptive awareness to find your lost keys and with cancer you boost your bodies healing and recuperative abilities. Certainly people who fight cancer with a positive attitude will have a higher survival rate than those who feel hopeless and helpless. So we can say with certainty that prayer does in fact work though only a certain way to a certain point.

*Disclaimer*

None of the above is supported by any evidence whatsoever.

American Cancer Society Wrote:Cancer is not caused by a person’s negative attitude nor is it made worse by a person’s thoughts. You might be better able to manage your life and cancer treatment when you are able to look at things in a positive light, but that’s not always possible either. It’s much healthier to admit that having cancer can make you and your loved ones feel sad.

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivor...e-attitude

Please quit the bullshit.
(January 15, 2014 at 7:19 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: I think what prayer ultimately does is to help God help you do whatever it is you want to do/achieve. So perhaps you will get the self confidence to be successful in your job interview, you gain greater perceptive awareness to find your lost keys and with cancer you boost your bodies healing and recuperative abilities. Certainly people who fight cancer with a positive attitude will have a higher survival rate than those who feel hopeless and helpless. So we can say with certainty that prayer does in fact work though only a certain way to a certain point. You are going to die of something at some point and it can be any point that's the nature of life, what it will do then is prepare you for death/loss which is still of great value.

When I was a Christian, I prayed a lot, and the result of all the nothing that happened was that I became an atheist. It's one of the better things that's ever happened to me. Certainly, I'm much more positive both about myself and about the world I live in, now that I'm not beholden to your misanthrophic, death-obsessed cult.

He truly does work in mysterious ways.
(January 15, 2014 at 5:23 pm)truthBtold Wrote: If a christian prays to god to get rid of their cancer, and the cancer is then gone.. Christians say that god answers prayers! But if it doesnt go away for say 2 years and then its gone christians say that god finally answered the prayer. In that time of 2 years of having the cancer and all the pain and all the heart ache and stress, what possibly can be the reason that god waited while u suffered? The answer of "its all in gods plan" or "god works in mysterious ways" will not cut it in this scenario.

Because cancer like any other health, wealth, life or death situation is an opportunity to either grow one way or another spiritually. These are the trials of life, these things are what makes this our proving grounds. Without these obsticals there would be no point to this life.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9189 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Why, God? Why?! LadyForCamus 233 30102 June 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  On this world if humans ceased to exist would god cease to exist? brewer 58 12438 November 24, 2017 at 3:17 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Why would this be so hard to have done? Astonished 25 8433 July 1, 2017 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Hi, I would like to tell you about Jesus Christ, the only way to God JacquelineDeane55 78 21127 June 10, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Praise GOD !!!! A Jesus your Vorlon would worship !!!!!! vorlon13 7 1342 April 22, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  How long will Christians wait for Jesus? Fake Messiah 150 32396 February 24, 2017 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  How Long Will Christians Wait for the End Time to Come? Rhondazvous 237 35964 September 3, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Why Would You Worship? Shuffle 75 16535 August 22, 2015 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The Asswipes Can't Wait Minimalist 21 3653 July 8, 2015 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb