Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your "Calling"
Your "Calling"
I either heard it said somewhere, or I thought of it myself: Once a person has found his or her "calling", they must do it.

Recently, I realized I have no "calling"; nothing that excites me to the point of having to do do it. Granted, that's partly because i'm an un-medicated depressive with ADD, but it's excruciating! I mean, there are things I really like doing, but nothing except reading, writing, and playing games holds my attention for very long, but I digress...

The point of this thread is this: Do any of you have a calling, or more than one? Please share! I'm sure a lot of us could glean some inspiration from you. Well, I could Angel Cloud
RE: Your "Calling"
Sex and bacon.

Ok fine. The real one is mentoring kids with behavioral health challenges. I love doing it, and I'm pretty darn good at it. That includes anything from a seven year old with anxiety to an out of control adolescent in foster care. It's something I love to do.

By the way, I'll fill your thread with kisses on my way out, hermosa. MUAH!!!!!!!
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
Obsessing over my Gwynnies. Big Grin

Yeah, I have like zero ambition.
I put having a calling on the same level as the idea that there's that one special woman that's just for me, and if only I can find her, we'll marry and love each other until we die. A nice idealist thought that isn't likely to be true.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(January 29, 2014 at 11:08 pm)Ivy Wrote: Sex and bacon.

Ok fine. The real one is mentoring kids with behavioral health challenges. I love doing it, and I'm pretty darn good at it. That includes anything from a seven year old with anxiety to an out of control adolescent in foster care. It's something I love to do.

By the way, I'll fill your thread with kisses on my way out, hermosa. MUAH!!!!!!!

I wish I had a mentor like you when I was a kid. Seriously, what you're doing is beautiful, and it must be extremely fulfilling.

I'll take those besos and fill your Censored with my Censored

Confusedhock:
(January 29, 2014 at 11:18 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I put having a calling on the same level as the idea that there's that one special woman that's just for me, and if only I can find her, we'll marry and love each other until we die. A nice idealist thought that isn't likely to be true.

Right.
So... no?

I mean, we get the idea, amiright?
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(January 29, 2014 at 11:18 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I put having a calling on the same level as the idea that there's that one special woman that's just for me, and if only I can find her, we'll marry and love each other until we die. A nice idealist thought that isn't likely to be true.

That's not what I'm talking about though. It's just an expression, a "calling". There are lots of people out there who have something or several things that they not only love to do, but must do, almost like an obsession, but healthier... well, as long as one's calling isn't to emulate Charles Manson or rob banks or something.
Mmmmmm yum Wink

And thank you for your comment, but sadly I am currently unemployed. I need a job desperately. I'd like to go back to the same thing.
Half Baked

(January 29, 2014 at 11:24 pm)Ivy Wrote: Mmmmmm yum Wink

And thank you for your comment, but sadly I am currently unemployed. I need a job desperately. I'd like to go back to the same thing.

Can you do it on your own? Like a private practice kind of thing? I bet you could get all kinds of funding...
As much as I love medicine I've always thought my calling would be archaeology.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Going to start calling it Dead Saturday on AF Foxaèr 26 5098 May 13, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Calling all cooks .. recipe request for the holidays. Whateverist 15 2427 November 22, 2015 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Great News: I've Found My Calling! Aractus 37 7685 May 10, 2014 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  The Welfare thread (calling on Mehmet here) Epimethean 30 6153 October 28, 2011 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Violet