Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction, aifnord
Introduction, aifnord
Hi,

I'm aifnord. I haven't visited this forum before and I only found it while shamefully googling for black market tickets to a Dawkins-debate. Lurking about since then, though, I think I'll probably hang around for a while though. I used to post a bit on CARM until I got completely fed up with it (even the admins are trolls there), so I have a forum-void to fill.

In any case; I'm male, currently 26 years old and an atheist. I've never been a theist believer in anything supernatural. When I was younger I simply didn't give it much thought, and once I did I thought it was fairly obvious that there is no such thing as God or anything like it. Complementing my material worldview, also I'm deeply infatuated with Discordianism (which I suppose might possible to deduce from my username.) and I place Robert Anton Wilson among my personal heroes, with others such as Daniel Dennett and Richard Dawkins.

As for short intros, I think that's about it for now.

BR / aifnord
RE: Introduction, aifnord
Welcome to the forums Aifnord.

Richard Dawkins and Dan Dennett are two of my heros too. I hope I do not offend you when I say... I'm not sure I know who Robert Anton Wilson is!

Anyway, as I said - welcome.

EvF
Hey, welcome to the forum.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
Welcome Aifnord Smile

I associate with your early experiences.

What did you think of the debate?
(November 29, 2009 at 5:09 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Welcome to the forums Aifnord.

Richard Dawkins and Dan Dennett are two of my heros too. I hope I do not offend you when I say... I'm not sure I know who Robert Anton Wilson is!

Anyway, as I said - welcome.

EvF

I don't get easily offended, and Robert Anton Wilson isn't particularly well-known outside the small Discordian subculture Smile

Discordianism is sort of a joke religion which is centered around the idea that chaos and disorder are just as valid aspects of reality as order. It borrows quite a lot from Zen Buddhism and greek mythology (Eris/Discordia, which was the greek goddess of chaos and disorder - her opposite being Harmonia/Concordia is the matron deity.) Although Discordianism is a joke, it's more than *just* a joke.

Anyways, RAW was, among other things, the co-author of the book "Illuminatus", which is kind of like "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy", but with sex, drugs and conspiracy theories instead of space. Since Illuminatus builds on and extends Discordianism quite a lot, it's sort become regarded as a sacred text and RAW himself as a Discordian saint.

There's quite a lot of Youtube videos of interviews with him on various subjects, and in most cases, his views are a bit out there but still strangely coherent and logical. One of my particular favourites is "Robert Anton Wilson explains Quantum Physics."
^^^
Sounds a bit like the FSM, with a little less farce.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
(November 29, 2009 at 7:51 pm)Rhage Wrote: ^^^
Sounds a bit like the FSM, with a little less farce.

I think being infatuated with the physical laws of the universe are more worth the waste of time than any construct like FSM and Discordianism. Entropy for the win!
Guys, blaspheming against his noodlyness or the smashing orangy bit is a banning offense here. Wink
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Welcome aifnord.
Freedom is the ability to march to the beat of a different drummer without fear of retribution. Secularone

Ignorance is bliss but understanding is wonderful. Atheist forums.org

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction Veni 5 740 July 3, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Introduction Data 9 975 June 19, 2022 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  A (re)-introduction bennyboy 10 1957 June 11, 2022 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Introduction Disagreeable 15 1429 January 25, 2022 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  atheists - edit to add Introduction ergo 60 4048 November 28, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Here is My Introduction AtheistQuest 23 2277 August 25, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The End8888 Introduction UniverseCaptain 29 2010 August 12, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A little introduction satansprostate 16 1170 June 24, 2021 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 987 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  introduction Xaventis 29 2917 August 9, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2