Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Forums
Christian Forums
I know we have a few Christians here who chime in a lot, and they're usually dealt with pretty hard. I thought about going to a Christian forum and trolling a bit, but I'm not sure I'm a good enough debater/know how to refute apologetic arguments well enough and I'll be outnumbered and made to look bad.

Do any of you guys frequent any Christian forums? Are you actually "successful" at all?
RE: Christian Forums
I'm entirely too lazy to register to another forum.
Don't break the rules and you'll do fine...
Sadly, it's very easy for an atheist to break a rule on those forums.
What poca said. I am registered on Rapture Ready, and have been for maybe 2 years. But I have yet to post because I can't find a good place to jump in.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I'm a member of one. I gave up after a while as you just get the same stupid arguments and no one gets anywhere.

You have to accept rational discussion will not change their minds. Rationality isn't what got them there in the first place, so it's not going to have any effect now.
(February 6, 2014 at 12:19 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: Do any of you guys frequent any Christian forums? Are you actually "successful" at all?

I went to ChristianForums at one time (that's what it was called) and all my posts were deleted and I was banned within 48 hours.

"Bashing Christianity" is against the rules on such forums. Needless to say, religious people play the hurt feelings card anytime even pointed questions are asked so pretty much anything could count as "bashing Christianity".

Being a skeptic poster on a religious forum is like being a liberal on Fox Noise. There are certain lines which must be carefully walked. Making forceful arguments is a no-no. The field is tilted and anyone who doesn't play accordingly is summarily banned.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
You can try to be more Christian than they are. Make some outlandish claims about God and see what they say. If they disagree you can call them a heretic.
KUSA, you just gave me a great idea.
(February 6, 2014 at 12:48 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: I went to ChristianForums at one time (that's what it was called) and all my posts were deleted and I was banned within 48 hours.

"Bashing Christianity" is against the rules on such forums. Needless to say, religious people play the hurt feelings card anytime even pointed questions are asked so pretty much anything could count as "bashing Christianity".

Being a skeptic poster on a religious forum is like being a liberal on Fox Noise. There are certain lines which must be carefully walked. Making forceful arguments is a no-no. The field is tilted and anyone who doesn't play accordingly is summarily banned.

This has been my experience also.

I have been banned from a couple of Christian forums for doing nothing more than asking honest questions and responding to fallacious answers.

I always did it with decorum, tact and manners, never cussed (which I don't do anyway). I was never insulting.

Yet I was banned within a couple of days from them with no warning.

They don't like when you can demonstrate why their favorite pet arguments (Kalam, Teleological, Ontological, TAG) are fallacious. Intellectual honesty is not their strong suit.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I'd much rather be in a group that mostly holds the same beliefs as me. I appreciate having some christians around like GodsChild, so I can actually debate and not just bounce the same ideas back at people who agree with me, but I don't want to be surrounded by people who don't share my beliefs.

Probably the best way to make fun of them would be to outdo them, instead of just pointing out their errors. Go all Jack Chick on them or something.

I guess I could say you likely won't get far on their home field, but that's probably how many christians think about coming here. I know it's possible to actually change a person's views through online debate, but it probably doesn't happen as often as many would like.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89379 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Christian Forums Jenny A 16 3613 June 21, 2015 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why Christians come to atheist forums watchamadoodle 112 22938 March 17, 2015 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7437 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  My debate in Christian Forums in full swing greneknight 99 39045 September 17, 2012 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: System of Solace
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6343 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Have all of the Atheists and some others on like forums comited the unforgivable sin? Pel 41 13890 February 10, 2012 at 2:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger