Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republicans STILL haven't learned anything about racism
Republicans STILL haven't learned anything about racism
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/24...mg00000063

First, Chris Mapp who is running for Senate, claimed that ranchers should be able to shoot "wetbacks" who are sneaking onto their land. (I don't like to use racial slurs like that, but I wanted to quote his exact terminology.)

Then when questioned about it, he claimed using that specific term is as "normal as breathing air in South Texas." Speaking as someone who lives in South Texas, it's only common with ignorant white trash (which, unfortunately, does seem to be common when you get outside the urban areas).

So far, no words from him about the morality of shooting people with so little provocation. I guess his pro-life stance doesen't seem to expand to people who are actually outside a uterus.

Honestly, though, this is suicide. Not only are hispanic voters the fastest growing voter bloc in the US, but in Texas, their numbers are high enough that if the GOP doesn't do something to start appealing to them better, this state will probably turn blue within 10 years or so. Yet, he still feels comfortable making these kinds of comments while running for office.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Republicans STILL haven't learned anything about racism
Quote: it's only common with ignorant white trash

Otherwise known as the republicunt base.
The GOP's seemingly willful self-destruction is a wonder to behold. If not for gerrymandering they would already be joining the Whigs and the dinosaurs.
It's good that he does it during the primaries, though. That forces the other GOP candidates to take a clear stance on the issue, and Cornyn (the incumbent for the seat) has already issued a statement so tepid that you realize that he's probably not happy about having to address the issue at all:
Quote:"That kind of rhetoric is discouraging from anybody," Cornyn said Friday of Mapp's use of the racial slur. "I recognize this is a free country but that's not the sort of way to gain people's confidence that you care about them and you want to represent their concerns in the halls of Congress."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
The republican party is doomed unless they make some changes like stop being racist sexist homophobic assholes. Enough about abortion and gay marriage. Balance the fucking budget.

I am actually pretty fiscally conservative but I absolutely CAN NOT vote republican.
(February 26, 2014 at 1:04 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: The GOP's seemingly willful self-destruction is a wonder to behold. If not for gerrymandering they would already be joining the Whigs and the dinosaurs.

Don't forget the general passivity of the American electorate. I fully expect them to gain seats in the mid-term because the progressives think everything is fine and will sit on their asses until 2016.
Modern Republicans are the best things that have ever happened to actual human beings.
(February 26, 2014 at 1:09 pm)No_God Wrote: The republican party is doomed unless they make some changes like stop being racist sexist homophobic assholes. Enough about abortion and gay marriage. Balance the fucking budget.

So far, whenever they've actually had the authority to balance the budget, the GOP always seems to increase national debt. It sky-rocketed early on in the Regan years and after all the effort Clinton put into turning it into a projected surplus, Dubya turned it back into a deficit; a record deficit that just kept growing.

Which is yet another reason I wouldn't even trust the Republican party to collect garbage.

(February 26, 2014 at 1:17 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: Modern Republicans are the best things that have ever happened to actual human beings.

Moderate Republicans actually exist? I haven't seen one for quite a while.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
THE GOP will go the way of the dodo bird if it keeps this up, but I am fine with that.
(February 26, 2014 at 12:56 pm)TaraJo Wrote: Speaking as someone who lives in South Texas, it's only common with ignorant white trash (which, unfortunately, does seem to be common when you get outside the urban areas).

You should visit the panhandle. Ignorant white trash is pretty much all there is.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti-immigration..does Right wing still fools masses? WinterHold 106 4787 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Black People - Stop Blaming Racism, Take Responsibility Napoléon 227 25962 March 18, 2022 at 4:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Cheney challenger admits to statutory rape: Republicans don't care Rev. Rye 39 2120 May 28, 2021 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  High percent of republicans refusing covid vaccination brewer 36 3266 March 24, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  An honest question for the Republicans Foxaèr 26 1293 November 20, 2020 at 1:25 pm
  Question About Republicans DeistPaladin 13 1308 September 22, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Does the positive side of tribalism/racism outshine the negative side? Greatest I am 58 2166 August 13, 2020 at 2:28 pm
  Who Still Thinks Joe Biden Will Be The Nomine? ReptilianPeon 90 6581 March 11, 2020 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Trump’s evangelical adviser to Jim Bakker: ‘It’s not Republicans vs Dems — it’s God v Secular Elf 6 833 March 4, 2020 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Ranjr
Big Grin Democrats VS Republicans I believe in Harry Potter 17 2018 October 28, 2019 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Alan V