Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quotes for the unbeliever
Quotes for the unbeliever
I ended up reading three atheist non-fiction books these past few days, though one of them could technically be considered a short novella.

Sam Harris' Letter to a Christian Nation.
Sam Harris' The End of Faith.
Christopher Hitchens' God is not Great.

I was going to read Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion, but I became bored a few pages into it, mainly because it contained the same material that the other books contained.

From reading the books I did, I did not glean any new atheistic material from its contents as I had expected. I suppose all I read and already knew I had learned from internet forums in relation to atheism. What I did learn, however, was some interesting history that I had not previously known.

My main purpose of this thread, though, is to share some of the atheist related quotes that stood out for me amidst the other material.

6 quotes; Harris' Letters to a Christian Nation:

9 quotes; Harris' The End of Faith:

8 quotes; Hitchens' God is not Great:

Feel free to share your favorite atheist quotes.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Quotes for the unbeliever
"A ship-owner was about to send to sea an emigrant-ship. He knew that she was old, and not
overwell built at the first; that she had seen many seas and climes, and often had needed repairs.
Doubts had been suggested to him that possibly she was not seaworthy. These doubts preyed
upon his mind, and made him unhappy; he thought that perhaps he ought to have her thoroughly
overhauled and refitted, even though this should put him at great expense. Before the ship sailed,
however, he succeeded in overcoming these melancholy reflections. He said to himself that she had
gone safely through so many voyages and weathered so many storms that it was idle to suppose she
would not come safely home from this trip also. He would put his trust in Providence, which could
hardly fail to protect all these unhappy families that were leaving their fatherland to seek for better
times elsewhere. He would dismiss from his mind all ungenerous suspicions about the honesty of
builders and contractors. In such ways he acquired a sincere and comfortable conviction that his
vessel was thoroughly safe and seaworthy; he watched her departure with a light heart, and
benevolent wishes for the success of the exiles in their strange new home that was to be; and
he got his insurance-money when she went down in mid-ocean and told no tales.

What shall we say of him? Surely this, that he was verily guilty of the death of those men. It is
admitted that he did sincerely believe in the soundness of his ship; but the sincerity of his conviction
can in no wise help him, because he had no right to believe on such evidence as was before him. He
had acquired his belief not by honestly earning it in patient investigation, but by stifling his doubts."

William K. Clifford
The Ethics of Belief
(Sourced from Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World)
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Quote:You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”

― Anne Lamott
Quote:"I didn't choose to live, but i love it."
-Ricky Gervais

"Forget about Jesus, Stars died so you could be born."
-Lawrence Krauss

"We are in a sense, one of the ways that universe has come to know itself."
-Bill Nye

"Quiet people have the loudest minds."
-Stephen Hawking

Here are some of my favorite quotes.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful."
- Unknown
Quote:From reading the books I did, I did not glean any new atheistic material from its contents as I had expected. I suppose all I read and already knew I had learned from internet forums in relation to atheism. What I did learn, however, was some interesting history that I had not previously known.

Well I imagine the reason you didn't learn anything new is that we have all stolen the best bits of those books, and more, to come to the conclusions and arguments we make.

Speaking personally the nearest I get to an original argument is combining the sources in a slightly different way.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Drazi pilgrim: You don't understand. This is my ceremonial blade and I'm a pilgrim, here for the sacred day of Chu'dag!
Garibaldi: I don't care if you're the Easter Bunny, you're not bringing this on the station.
Drazi pilgrim: The maker of all things will not permit this! He will allow nothing to stand between me and the blade!
Garibaldi: Oh yeah? Tell you what I'll tie this to a magnetic grapple, stick this on the station's hull and point you to the nearest airlock. If you go after it without a breathing unit, you can have it.
Drazi pilgrim: You test my faith!
Garibaldi: And you're testing my patience. Now move on before I decide to flunk out.
Morishi: Oh man, I can't believe we've got five more days of this to live through.
Garibaldi: Don't blame me, blame Earth Central. " Say, we've got an idea. How about an entire week where every alien species on Babylon 5 demonstrates their religious beliefs? It'll advance the cause of interplanetary peace and understanding." As ideas go, this one's right up there with having my gums extracted.

-Babylon 5, "The Parliament of Dreams"
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(March 16, 2014 at 1:00 pm)Kayenneh Wrote:

I miss that show. Definitely up there on my list of top science fiction shows.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 16, 2014 at 1:04 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: I miss that show. Definitely up there on my list of top science fiction shows.

It's fucking awesome! I just started to watch through the whole shebang again Heart

The bible, that’s God's book. As far as I know the Devil hasn't brought out a book yet, haven’t heard his side of the argument. God’s just writing shit about him, and the Devil’s being the bigger man and saying: "I’m not even going to comment, talking shit about me like that!"

-Jim Jefferies
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(March 16, 2014 at 6:12 am)DarkHorse Wrote: "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful."
- Unknown

Quote: The policy of the emperors and the senate, as far as it concerned religion, was happily seconded by the reflections of the enlightened, and by the habits of the superstitious, part of their subjects. The various modes of worship, which prevailed in the Roman world, were all considered by the people, as equally true; by the philosopher, as equally false; and by the magistrate, as equally useful. And thus toleration produced not only mutual indulgence, but even religious concord.

Edward Gibbon, Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire Chapter II

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Atheism Quotes? Incognito 25 3759 October 31, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Best use of hymns and bible quotes in fiction? Lemonvariable72 14 3403 November 21, 2015 at 6:14 am
Last Post: pgrimes15
  Create your own skeptical quotes. Brian37 33 3912 March 20, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
Information Formidable Atheist Quotes - AskAtheists.com chrisbeach 11 3142 January 25, 2013 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
Question Quotes acceptance Emporion 48 13994 March 2, 2011 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Emporion