Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended Readings for a Beginning Atheist
Recommended Readings for a Beginning Atheist
I was wondering, and I thought maybe others may be as well, if any of you could recommend some decent books on atheism/atheistic thought? I'm rather new to all of this, and I like to explore what others have to say on the subject. I'm familiar with some atheistic philosophers, and people like Richard Dawkins; but I'm looking for some others as well and thought you all may have some favourites you'd like to pass along/share.

I need to get my summer reading list together. I don't have money to take classes this summer semester (and after finally having to get into the meat and potatoes of my pre-med this semester I"m not sure if I'd want to anyway lol) so I need to fill my time with some sort of learning.
[Image: 1509277_363796590425193_1433975890_n.jpg]
RE: Recommended Readings for a Beginning Atheist
I just recently read three atheist books, never got around to the fourth on the list.

Sam Harris, Letter to a Christian Nation.
Sam Harris, The End of Faith.
Christopher Hitchens, God is not Great.
(The one I did not read) Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
You could do a lot worse than God Is Not Great; Hitchens' clarity and powerful prose style will keep you glued to the page.

(Edit: bugger - ninja'ed!)
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I'd be more likely to point out videos, like Aron Ra's, Steve Shives', or Darkmatter2525's, than a book.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Start with this.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-bible-unearthed/

Its a 4 part series on "The Bible Unearthed" and will demonstrate the fictional nature of the Old Testament. Once you understand that xtianity and islam are built on foundations of sand you will have a better understanding of the phony nature of religion.

After this, you may want to read the book of the same name which goes into greater detail.
I'd recommend reading some of the great science communicators rather than those who feel they have to make a point about atheism specifically. Stephen Hawking, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Lawrence Krauss. Brian Greene's books are supposed to be good too but I've only ever watched his documentaries.
Thanks so much! Lot's of great recommendations here for sure, and I appreciate the videos as well. I'll have quite a bit to work through over the summer with these I'm sure.
[Image: 1509277_363796590425193_1433975890_n.jpg]
If you're looking for some fiction, I suggest Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials", Trudi Canavan's "Age of Five" and Karen Miller's "Empress" (also known as "Empress of Mijak". Don't bother with the rest of the "Hammer of God" series, the second and third book sucked in my opinion.)

Oh, and Bill Bryson's " A Short History of Nearly Everything" is worth reading.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Similar to Napolean I would recommend Carl Sagan and Stephen Jay Gould.

Accessible philosophy would include Epicurus, Emerson, Montaigne, Marcus Aurelius, Schopenhauer, Hume and Russell.

I also like the writings of Jefferson and Lincoln. Gibbon is also a pleasure to read.
Any of Bart Erhman's books. I'm currently reading "What do you do with a chocolate Jesus - Thomas Quinn"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Spontaneous Beginning of Spacetime Chimoshi 30 4693 April 27, 2015 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  I'm beginning to hate religious people. Grissa Ost Drauka 86 42669 March 28, 2015 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Nope
  Recommended Atheist Literature MrQuinlan 6 891 September 19, 2014 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: MrQuinlan
  What Was Before ' the Beginning '....? HUMAN BRAIN 78 17657 October 13, 2013 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37