Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So... This Happened
So... This Happened
These banners were put up all over Birmingham (Alabama) a couple of days ago. The Birmingham police took them down. If this were the 60s, all of them would be KKK members and they would probably leave them up.

I should note that the city of Birmingham is overwhelmingly black, so whoever put up these banners is probably from one of the suburbs around the city.

[Image: bannerjpg-90b3239c9189a558.jpg]
RE: So... This Happened
I would like to say that I'm surprised, but I'm not.
My sister and her family lived in Birmingham not long ago. I wonder if they'd know anything about it. My mom has always been against mixed marriages, despite that the more diverse the gene pool, the better any population is. She talks about needing to keep family history pure or something. I never bought into that.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

You'd think I'd be used to this living in Birmingham all my life, but whenever I see blatant racism and white supremacy it really pisses me off.
The only thing that surprises is me is that some southern good ol' boys could properly spell words with eight or more letters in them.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I'd like to propose a different banner:

DIVERSITY = IGNORANT PEOPLE SCARED SHITLESS FOR NO GOOD REASON

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 16, 2014 at 7:59 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: You'd think I'd be used to this living in Birmingham all my life, but whenever I see blatant racism and white supremacy it really pisses me off.

I lived in Alabama for a while in the 80s. It really surprised me how openly racist some fraction of the population was - not everyone to be sure, but it was foreign to me to hear people openly using racial slurs in polite company.

I hope things have improved some since then. Things like this are not encouraging. Though I do notice the cockroaches who put the sign up didn't stick around in order to be identified by their words.
My mom likes to use the phrase "That's very white of you" sometimes. Has anyone else heard this phrase, or is it just something my mom says?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(March 16, 2014 at 8:11 pm)Chad32 Wrote: My mom likes to use the phrase "That's very white of you" sometimes. Has anyone else heard this phrase, or is it just something my mom says?

I've heard it, yes - not in a long time though.
(March 16, 2014 at 8:07 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I lived in Alabama for a while in the 80s. It really surprised me how openly racist some fraction of the population was - not everyone to be sure, but it was foreign to me to hear people openly using racial slurs in polite company.

I hope things have improved some since then. Things like this are not encouraging. Though I do notice the cockroaches who put the sign up didn't stick around in order to be identified by their words.
It was figured out who they were anyway. A group called White Man March. The link is to their crazy-ass website, where they proudly take credit for the banners.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The GOP, wtf happened? A Godzilla fan 6 1124 July 21, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  This is awkward, but...whatever happened to defeating ISIS in 30 days? NuclearEnergy 9 3845 May 24, 2017 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Chuckle. What Happened To The 'Art of the Deal?' Minimalist 16 2635 March 24, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  we finally know what happened to flight 370 Manowar 2 955 April 20, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: FreeTony
  Morgan Freeman's take on what happened a few days ago. Creed of Heresy 8 2614 December 16, 2012 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Can You Imagine If This Happened in the US? Minimalist 8 3552 July 1, 2012 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  What ever happened to that Wikileaks anti-BoA material? Autumnlicious 2 1353 January 27, 2012 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Do you think that without religion the crusades would have never happened? Coolmogo 37 16239 July 15, 2009 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: bozo