Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to deal with family?
How to deal with family?
Hi,
I am 17 years old, and an open atheist with my family. The rest of them are Christians, however. I am just wondering how to deal with my mom, who will tell me things like, "I talk to Jesus" and smirk a little bit. I don't know what to say to her, because I want to be respectful because she is my mom, but she knows I'm an atheist and still says these things. It really gets on my nerves. I want to start arguing because she clearly knows I don't believe the same as her and she still says it to me, but I also want to be respectful. Do you guys know what I should do? Thanks in advance!
RE: How to deal with family?
My mom sometimes says and does similar things (not quite as batshit as "I talk to jesus" though). If I ever criticise the catholic church for instance she pulls a face. She's not even catholic!

I just tend to bring up relevant points and bad things about religion when I feel it's appropriate. I wouldn't actively call her out and argue, more trouble than it's worth.
If it's known you are an atheist and your family isn't giving you the hard sell (or conducting middle of the night exorcisms), I suggest sucking it up and not engaging in arguments out of respect for them. When your mom tells you she talks to Jesus, smile at her and say, "I know you do, Mom." Then leave it at that. You'll be out on your own soon enough, and you have the rest of your life (as well as your time here) to argue about religion if you want.

My two cents.
Can you tell her that you don't appreciate her snarky attitude and point out to her that you're not snarky or disrespectful of her beliefs (assuming this is true) so could she show she the same courtesy?

I'd start by making this request and seeing how it goes, that way you can at least claim that you were trying to be mature and respectful and she was the one screwing it up. Once that request is out there and it's understood that you have tried to keep things civil, I would giving it back to her*, every so often reintroducing the idea that maybe your family just shouldn't talk about religion for the sake of everyone getting along.

* If you're in danger of her kicking you out or losing necessary financial support or anything, I'd say keep your trap shut and deal with her disrespect as well as you can until you're financially independent and there would be no (or much fewer) repercussions for responding.

And remember that you can always come the AF to vent. Smile
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Quote:"I talk to Jesus" and smirk a little bit.

Smirk back, roll your eyes, and say "sure, mom."
I always sleep as long as i can on Sundays and my mom used to make sarcastic comments about that people are already coming back from church and i am still sleeping...
My response was always the same. "I won't give up my BED for anything or anyone!" Big Grin
Ask her to ask Jesus about that Malaysian plane.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
I'd ask, "Well let me know if he ever talks back, because I need to know when your delusion turns into full-blown psychosis."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1828 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6330 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2392 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5360 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3151 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4330 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2811 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  How I deal with no afterlife SuperMarioGamer 117 11507 October 25, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: TheMonster
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7041 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Telling my family? CloverGrace 10 2059 August 28, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: KevinM1