Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are so many atheists cruel?
Why are so many atheists cruel?
Being an atheist I believe in death the great equalizer where we all become dumb as dirt. I also believe in the science of universal expansion where all life will die. So I don’t go around calling people idiots or dumb because that is my future, your future, and the future of all life. The only part of the bible with a little truth is Ecclesiastes.
RE: Why are so many atheists cruel?
Probably because Christians are even more cruel.
Any group has it's outliers. In my experience though, I've run into MANY more asshole theists than atheists.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Sure that's the future. What's also the future? Bringing my kids up in a (hopefully) secular world. Where they can then bring theirs up too. If someone is stupid enough to threaten that I'm gonna have something to say about it. Just because we all die in the end doesn't excuse idiocy right here and now. What a ludicrous idea.
Atheists are considered cruel because we don't respect idiotic beliefs. Our society is built around the strange idea that we should respect everyone's personal opinion no matter how retarded it is. And it's fucking up everything. From funding for scientific research to civil rights for women and homosexuals, to having non-violent criminals locked up for life getting gang raped in prison.

I'm going to get pissed when people try to justify causing far reaching harm to other humans and our society under some retarded concept that we should respect everyone's opinion.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(March 22, 2014 at 11:11 am)edgeoflogic Wrote: Being an atheist I believe in death the great equalizer where we all become dumb as dirt. I also believe in the science of universal expansion where all life will die. So I don’t go around calling people idiots or dumb because that is my future, your future, and the future of all life. The only part of the bible with a little truth is Ecclesiastes.

I don't think telling truth is cruel. Do I have to lie to dumb people instead of telling them who they really are?
Some of my best friends are christians, and I even let them use my bathroom. I only get mean in discussions when I feel that the opposite is dishonest or willfully obtuse, i.e. wasting my time.

(March 22, 2014 at 11:33 am)tor Wrote:
(March 22, 2014 at 11:11 am)edgeoflogic Wrote: Being an atheist I believe in death the great equalizer where we all become dumb as dirt. I also believe in the science of universal expansion where all life will die. So I don’t go around calling people idiots or dumb because that is my future, your future, and the future of all life. The only part of the bible with a little truth is Ecclesiastes.

I don't think telling truth is cruel. Do I have to lie to dumb people instead of telling them who they really are?

Because the act of telling transports a message beyond the mere words that are uttered - making a deliberately unkind act out of a superficially objective statement. In this case, the act of telling even outweighs the content of the message imho.
Cruel? Is this a joke? Christians murdered their way across the world for a 1000 years. Many Muslim countries currently have the death penalty for apostasy, homosexuality and other non-offenses. Atheists? We make fun of stupid people on the internet.

Oh the cruelty!
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

But we live in the here and the now.

Different varieties of theism have real world, negative consequences.

I don't go around calling theists idiots or dumb, I just point out their beliefs are wrong, or at least unsupported.

I didn't become more intelligent when I became an atheist. I just stopped believing in ridiculous unsupported stories.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(March 22, 2014 at 11:11 am)edgeoflogic Wrote: So I don’t go around calling people idiots or dumb because that is my future, your future, and the future of all life.

I usually call dumb or idiotic someone's beliefs or opinions. I never call the person stupid Tongue Most of my friends are christians and i'm sure they don't think i'm cruel... whatever that means.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5285 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 7052 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2102 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1034 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2871 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1984 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2295 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 8171 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7035 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why Are Atheists so Stupid Neo-Scholastic 125 15495 October 7, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: LastPoet