Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends trying to 'save' me
Friends trying to 'save' me
Recently I 'came out' to a few more friends of mine that I have given up religion. One of these friends of mine is rather religious herself, and since has been constantly dogging me to come along with her to her church. She says you don't even have to believe in God, and that it's more for the community aspect of religion. I really don't want to go, and I've told her nicely quite a few times but she's insistent. I really feel like she thinks it's her personal mission to save me from atheism. I don't want to hurt her feelings as she does mean well (I can only assume at least), and she is a very good friend of mine (she says my giving up religion will not change our relationship in any way, and so far it hasn't so thats good at least). I just don't know how to tell her I'm not interested nicely anymore.

Has anyone else had similar problems with friends after leaving faith? I am starting to feel like I should just go once, and then let her know it's not for me; but I'm really trying to distance myself completely from religion as much as possible right now. Considering my condition I don't want anything to possibly place a delusion in my head again about religion; and I don't know how to say THAT to her without sounding like I'm straight calling her deluded (even though that's what she is in my opinion it's not polite and I'd like to remain as polite as possible considering she's been a good friend of mine since high school).

Any tips for doing this nicely?
[Image: 1509277_363796590425193_1433975890_n.jpg]
RE: Friends trying to 'save' me
Yeah, my grandmother brings it up sometimes that I need to go to church. My sister and brother in law would like it too, but they don't pester me about it. They do get a bit sensitive if I say or do anything around the kids against religion. Like when I'm not bowing my head at the dinner table. Which me, my sister, and my parents never did when it was just us at home.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Use the word 'boundary.'

For years my mom used to try to get me to go to church with them on special occasions. She would try to guilt trip me, saying 'come to be with family' or 'I just want to be with you while you are in town.' Stuff like that. Finally, I told her that it was a boundary I will not cross. If she would like to continue to cross that boundary, that's up to her.

Most people are averse to crossing boundaries that are clearly defined.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 23, 2014 at 3:52 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Yeah, my grandmother brings it up sometimes that I need to go to church. My sister and brother in law would like it too, but they don't pester me about it. They do get a bit sensitive if I say or do anything around the kids against religion. Like when I'm not bowing my head at the dinner table. Which me, my sister, and my parents never did when it was just us at home.

I can imagine it being even worse with family :\ At least I don't have to see her unless I choose to; but I really enjoy spending time with her..it's just becoming tiresome to hear about religion all the time. It's like she wants to talk about it more now that I'm not religious than when I was :\ Hopefully your family starts easing off pretty soon. I was at least lucky enough to have a family that isn't very religious (save a few members etc).
Tell them you will be atheist for the rest of your life and if god is not evil you got nothing to worry about.
(March 23, 2014 at 3:48 pm)OGirly Wrote: Recently I 'came out' to a few more friends of mine that I have given up religion. One of these friends of mine is rather religious herself, and since has been constantly dogging me to come along with her to her church. She says you don't even have to believe in God, and that it's more for the community aspect of religion. I really don't want to go, and I've told her nicely quite a few times but she's insistent. I really feel like she thinks it's her personal mission to save me from atheism. I don't want to hurt her feelings as she does mean well (I can only assume at least), and she is a very good friend of mine (she says my giving up religion will not change our relationship in any way, and so far it hasn't so thats good at least). I just don't know how to tell her I'm not interested nicely anymore.

Has anyone else had similar problems with friends after leaving faith? I am starting to feel like I should just go once, and then let her know it's not for me; but I'm really trying to distance myself completely from religion as much as possible right now. Considering my condition I don't want anything to possibly place a delusion in my head again about religion; and I don't know how to say THAT to her without sounding like I'm straight calling her deluded (even though that's what she is in my opinion it's not polite and I'd like to remain as polite as possible considering she's been a good friend of mine since high school).

Any tips for doing this nicely?

My advice, don't go to appease her if that is the only reason. She needs to respect where you are, with this whole thing. If she doesn't judge, let's see that play out in actions. I lost three friends, one very recently, over 'leaving' the faith. The last one hurt the most, as it was a bit abrupt. She might have been feeling things she never said for a while, but never said anything until recently. It hurts to lose people you considered friends, but you can't be someone you are not, to keep them.

Old saying, one should rather be hated for who he/she is, than liked for who he/she is not.

It is a hard spot, OGirly. I hope your friendships last, and that your friends respect your boundaries. hugs~*~
(March 23, 2014 at 3:55 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Use the word 'boundary.'

For years my mom used to try to get me to go to church with them on special occasions. She would try to guilt trip me, saying 'come to be with family' or 'I just want to be with you while you are in town.' Stuff like that. Finally, I told her that it was a boundary I will not cross. If she would like to continue to cross that boundary, that's up to her.

Most people are averse to crossing boundaries that are clearly defined.

I'll try this! Hopefully wording it more forcefully will be enough.

(March 23, 2014 at 3:57 pm)Deidre32 Wrote: My advice, don't go to appease her if that is the only reason. She needs to respect where you are, with this whole thing. If she doesn't judge, let's see that play out in actions. I lost three friends, one very recently, over 'leaving' the faith. The last one hurt the most, as it was a bit abrupt. She might have been feeling things she never said for a while, but never said anything until recently. It hurts to lose people you considered friends, but you can't be someone you are not, to keep them.

Old saying, one should rather be hated for who he/she is, than liked for who he/she is not.

It is a hard spot, OGirly. I hope your friendships last, and that your friends respect your boundaries. hugs~*~

Sigh...it's a sticky spot to be in :\ Sorry to hear about your lost friends. It's never easy when you have to accept someone is not going to be a part of your life anymore. I really hope it doesn't come to that for me, but who knows anymore. People get so caught up in religion :\

Thanks for the consolation though. It's at least comforting to know there are others with similar experiences.
I hope you don't lose their friendships, either. In the end if that happens, it's better to know that the only glue that held you all together, was that you believed as they did in a god. Religion tends to breed conformity. It doesn't really advocate individual thinking, sadly. Kind of breeds herd mentality.
Remind her of what she told you, that your relationship wasn't going to change. If now she is trying to get you to go to church, something she never used to do, then that means that the relationship has changed to a degree.
OGirly, while you're trying extra hard to be polite, she is being extremely rude. You've told her you don't want to go, but she keeps bugging you about it.

You don't need to tip toe around her. You need to firmly state: "I have told you countless times I do not want to go to church. If you would like to continue our friendship, you will not disrespect me or my decisions by constantly countering them, because true friends accept each other for who they are. I haven't asked you to give up your religion."

Or something to that effect.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Christian friends SeniorCitizen 12 914 November 21, 2023 at 11:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Questions for your Religious friends. johndoe122931 100 5294 June 5, 2021 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 4919 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2645 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  Trying to Apply the Ontological Argument in Real Life YahwehIsTheWay 21 4786 April 13, 2017 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7041 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Atheists: Can You Still Accept X'n Friends? Detachable 76 10917 August 12, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Jesster
  Jeff Sparrow on the need to save ourselves from the sickishness of the New Atheists Whateverist 62 8541 March 21, 2016 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  FB and Twitter/insta friends atheistinNYC 3 1045 November 30, 2015 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5393 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor