Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this the right way to think about Atheism?
Is this the right way to think about Atheism?
I might just be confusing myself. But,this is what Atheist means to me.

You can't prove God exist and you cant prove God doesn't exist. But, because of the scientific evidence redefining almost all the stuff that was once thought that a higher deity did it that leads me to the conclusion that God or any deity does not exist.

Is this right? I don't believe God exist but Its hard for me to explain it.
RE: Is this the right way to think about Atheism?
Yep that's about it
At its simplest, atheism just means a lack of belief in a god. Period. None of the other stuff that people generally attach to the word is really relevant.

Technically, since there really is no way to prove or disprove the existence of a god(s), the only purely rational stance an atheist can take is agnostic atheist. Where we acknowledge that one cannot know, but we make a statement of belief (or lack thereof.)
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I consider myself an atheist with regards to all "common sense" man-made definitions of deities. That said, if someone wants to call the Universe "God" because it is essentially the closest thing to such a being, I'm quite comfortable with that.
(March 23, 2014 at 4:59 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: I consider myself an atheist with regards to all "common sense" man-made definitions of deities. That said, if someone wants to call the Universe "God" because it is essentially the closest thing to such a being, I'm quite comfortable with that.

Think that's how Pantheism took shape.
Like this
[Image: atheist-shirt_nogodlarge.jpg]
(March 23, 2014 at 5:01 pm)tor Wrote: Like this
[Image: atheist-shirt_nogodlarge.jpg]
Thats kinda hard to explain it to a religious person though. Thats why I need a more detailed explanation xD
Why do you need to explain ANYTHING to a religion person?
Just say there is no god and if they don't get it let em rot.
Who gives the fuck what they think.
There aren't any details. Atheism can mean a lack of belief in god(s) or an active disbelief in god(s). That's it.
(March 23, 2014 at 4:47 pm)Doggey75 Wrote: I might just be confusing myself. But,this is what Atheist means to me.

You can't prove God exist and you cant prove God doesn't exist. But, because of the scientific evidence redefining almost all the stuff that was once thought that a higher deity did it that leads me to the conclusion that God or any deity does not exist.

Is this right? I don't believe God exist but Its hard for me to explain it.

Atheism means to you what it means to you, there is no right or wrong to it.

I think you are confusing what atheism is generally accepted to be for the purposes of discussion with other people, with what atheism means to you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theocracy on the way Spongebob 94 5687 January 19, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 988 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2832 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 994 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3727 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27124 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The only way I could believe ....... Brian37 16 3413 April 28, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist? Phosphorescent Panties 83 14313 April 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong" JewishAthiest 106 25468 February 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  When Atheists Can't Think Episode 2: Proving Atheism False Heat 18 3401 December 22, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet