Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you rather live forever or die?
Would you rather live forever or die?
Just wondering how many people here look forward to death. I don't mean you look forward to having a short life but would you rather die some day than live forever? Of course, if life were roses and euphoric all the time, no one in their right mind would ever want to die. But is life really all that great?
RE: Would you rather live forever or die?
I'd probably want to live for a couple hundred years but after that I think I want to die.
Depends on the variables
Dying to live, living to die.
If I was immortal, the odds are 100% that I'd eventually become trapped. I'd eventually fall into a deep hole, or stuck under water, or under a huge rock, and be trapped for all eternity. Fuck that.
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a goddess, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
It would be interesting to see what the future holds, for instance what new scientific discoveries would be made, which path the technical stuff like computers, phones etc will take.
But on the other hand i already can feel that my body starts to slowly break down, i run for a little bit and i have to recover for couple of days now Tongue
So when my time comes i would like to rest eternally Big Grin
I'd like my consciousness preserved if it is possible before I die. Preferably where I could 'power off' for a couple of centuries and check in with my ancestors. That would be badassery.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
No way I would want to be immortal. I find it difficult enough relating to anyone under 20 as it is now - in another 50 years, forget it.

Eighty something will do me fine.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
(April 8, 2014 at 4:21 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: If I was immortal, the odds are 100% that I'd eventually become trapped. I'd eventually fall into a deep hole, or stuck under water, or under a huge rock, and be trapped for all eternity. Fuck that.

Yeah I never thought of that. What if a landside buries you alive and you have to spend eternity like that. Damn that would suck. Maybe you could sleep for the rest of your eternity dreaming wet dreams. Then would you be okay with it?
I will need an infinite amount of time to thoroughly ponder all the subtle implications of either option.
(April 8, 2014 at 4:05 pm)Phatt Matt s Wrote: Just wondering how many people here look forward to death. I don't mean you look forward to having a short life but would you rather die some day than live forever? Of course, if life were roses and euphoric all the time, no one in their right mind would ever want to die. But is life really all that great?

Infrastructural questions would abound if we were to live eternally. What would our retirement age be? How would that affect the budget? Especially if we aged at he same rate, thus making it still appropriate to retire at 65.

As much as I love life, and Earth, living forever would create more hardships than one realizes.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2184 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  ‘Would You Rather’ Scenarios BrianSoddingBoru4 25 1393 June 26, 2022 at 5:58 pm
  Anyone visit a volcano, or live near a volcano? Brian37 27 1498 October 21, 2021 at 5:12 am
  Where would you go if you could? Brian37 24 2062 August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  24 hours to live onlinebiker 115 6153 January 1, 2021 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How WON’T You Die? BrianSoddingBoru4 63 4238 June 17, 2020 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are you happy where you live? Macoleco 39 2941 August 22, 2019 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Will AF last forever? Jehanne 68 5899 May 22, 2019 at 5:18 am
  Who would you rely on to help you out? Cod 18 1333 January 8, 2019 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Inspired rather than random thoughts tackattack 20 1908 November 24, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: tackattack