Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ Forum participation ]
Brick 
[ Forum participation ]
This really is not just about me, I think the same issue touches most of the members here.
No much participation in the forum as for discussing things and sharing thoughts, specially in this part of the forum(Atheism).

SO......Why ?

They are boring, repeated topics and ideas, things that I went through during my usual daily thoughts(talking to myself Tongue), read about somewhere or discussed it in real life with some monkey that looks alot like a human.

Whenever I read the title that interests me(which rarely happens) and see whats in there, I get bored alot and disappointed for how much the topic is overly talked about and how much the subject is poorly written and discussed , and I feel that I can't add much, Because I think what i'm going to say is not very special or even different from what most of the others that saw that post would say or thought about .

what do you think ?
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
RE: [ Forum participation ]
When I first joined this forum I was posting like crazy, but lately I'm more selective for the same reasons. The discussions in the forums do get repetitious over time. That's because there's always new people coming into the forum. If you're replying to someone new, you might be bringing up stuff that's been said before, but it's relevant to the person to which you're responding. In a forum like this you're not just taking from it for yourself, but you're also contributing for the benefit of other participants. Usually someone will will shed some new light on a subject.
Something to keep in mind when you think what you have to say might not matter or it's been discussed a million times already is that there are also lurkers here, too. They may never participate in any threads, but they read. And some may be struggling with transitioning from religion to atheism, and just read for advice.

Your opinion matters even if someone doesn't reply. Plant seeds and they will blossom, even if you don't see them blossom. Smile
Lately, I've noticed that I'm participating very little... mostly, because everything had been said, and still the fundies latch on to their delusions.
I write and get ignored...surely due to inability to grasp my of view.
I grow tired of being ignored, so I just don't bother too much, lately.... usually esq just says what I would say, anyway.
I check out the new posts sometimes but never post (since my intro) because (a)my 2¢ are the same as someone else or (b) I'm too used to being a quiet bible belt atheist. so...peanut butter and pineapple are my combination of choice and i will try to have something to say more often.
(April 14, 2014 at 10:37 pm)jenger Wrote: I check out the new posts sometimes but never post (since my intro) because (a)my 2¢ are the same as someone else or (b) I'm too used to being a quiet bible belt atheist. so...peanut butter and pineapple are my combination of choice and i will try to have something to say more often.

The more you do it, the easier it gets.
(April 14, 2014 at 10:37 pm)jenger Wrote: I check out the new posts sometimes but never post (since my intro) because (a)my 2¢ are the same as someone else or (b) I'm too used to being a quiet bible belt atheist. so...peanut butter and pineapple are my combination of choice and i will try to have something to say more often.

It doesn't matter that what you have to say is the same as someone who has already posted.

The important thing is participation.

Wink Shades
Dying to live, living to die.
Me I've just been slackin lately. Too much to do, and no one takes me seriously anyways Tongue
I find I miss all the fun stuff by days and for that matter, we have a lack of competently literate theists to debate.
I don't like shootin fish in a barrel.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
Same here Miss L.
So much to do, lucky if I get to read whole threads!
Most arguments are done to death by the time I get to them.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I never let the fact that it's been said already, stop me from saying it though. I'm sure all you guys who were here when I started on this forum had heard it and said it a million times, but for me it was a journey of exploration and a very fun experience! I in kind try to hold up arguments for that reason; because had someone not taken the time to do it for me, I wouldn't' be here. Oh and am I so glad I am..
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]