Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anyone provide an argument for a necessary being?
Can anyone provide an argument for a necessary being?
I've seen the classical arguments, but every argument for a necessary being seems like an appeal to ignorance.

An unfalsifiable premise doesn't seem rational. Perhaps this is the reason I have problems with ontological arguments: they all seem to be appeals to ignorance, with a deus ex thrown in as the explanation.

So my challenge is: can anyone provide a cogent and compelling argument for a necessary being?

Why we can't we contemplate a necessary being without concluding it exists, without resulting to the same appeals to ignorance that resulted in Thor, God of Thunder and Lightning?

How would a being or entity be necessary in the absence of a plausible natural explanation?
RE: Can anyone provide an argument for a necessary being?
I guess I would answer your question with the Prime Mover or Unmoved Mover argument that was formalized by Aristotle in Book 12 of his Metaphysics and later used by Thomas Aquinas in his famous Five Proofs of God in his most well-known work Summa Theologica.
While I am not religious in any way, and while I find many of Aristotole's arguments impossible to accept, I do find it quite acceptable to concede that it is very difficult to imagine or posit an argument that doesn't attribute some kind of Prime Mover as the origin of the universe. I guess I find it easier to understand that all matter has not been in existence forever with no beginning rather than the obverse. Everything we see in the natural world has a beginning and an end. So it just makes more sense to me, logically, that there must be some ultimate cause for existence and though I certainly don't think human intelligence is even close to a cognition of what that ultimate cause was or is, I can understand why people throughout the ages have tried to identify it.
Finally, I would ask the questioner to give a proof or argument that supports the position that the universe could exist and indeed does exist without an initial cause or Prime Mover. In other words, what is the plausible, natural explanation for the existence of the universe that you seem to refer to? If it is the singularity posited by the Big Bang theory, I would simply ask 'From whence came the singularity?' Be it known that I can accept an argument that would posit that the singularity and the Prime Mover are one in the same. In fact, based on the law of conservation of matter, I would argue that this is indeed a very plausible explanation for the known universe, I.e, God is the universe and the universe is God, or Dog or Mog or Gom or whatever name you want to attach to the Prime Mover.
(April 20, 2014 at 6:56 am)Metalogos Wrote: I guess I would answer your question with the Prime Mover or Unmoved Mover argument that was formalized by Aristotle in Book 12 of his Metaphysics and later used by Thomas Aquinas in his famous Five Proofs of God in his most well-known work Summa Theologica.
While I am not religious in any way, and while I find many of Aristotole's arguments impossible to accept, I do find it quite acceptable to concede that it is very difficult to imagine or posit an argument that doesn't attribute some kind of Prime Mover as the origin of the universe. I guess I find it easier to understand that all matter has not been in existence forever with no beginning rather than the obverse. Everything we see in the natural world has a beginning and an end. So it just makes more sense to me, logically, that there must be some ultimate cause for existence and though I certainly don't think human intelligence is even close to a cognition of what that ultimate cause was or is, I can understand why people throughout the ages have tried to identify it.
Finally, I would ask the questioner to give a proof or argument that supports the position that the universe could exist and indeed does exist without an initial cause or Prime Mover. In other words, what is the plausible, natural explanation for the existence of the universe that you seem to refer to? If it is the singularity posited by the Big Bang theory, I would simply ask 'From whence came the singularity?' Be it known that I can accept an argument that would posit that the singularity and the Prime Mover are one in the same. In fact, based on the law of conservation of matter, I would argue that this is indeed a very plausible explanation for the known universe, I.e, God is the universe and the universe is God, or Dog or Mog or Gom or whatever name you want to attach to the Prime Mover.

IMO the common mistake is that far too many people think that everything that exists today has always existed in its current form. Matter evolves from the simple to the complex. It's a never ending process and matter is still being created that is more complex. The process takes a very long time so we can't observe it in its entirety.

Consider how cosmic hydrogen gas collects itself into a massive ball and then goes nuclear and burns for billions of years, creating new elements within itself over time. Then the star goes through several evolutions, changing from one type into another, each with different characteristics. Is a god entity behind that or is it simply a common natural process?
My biological parents are necessary beings.
This is precisely the problem I have with all ontological arguments as well.

It attempts to place what are inherently subjective beliefs into the confines of an objectively applicable formula, and then to further add onto the railway to disaster, goes the extra mile to declare the conclusion as unavoidable. The resulting presuppositional mess is predictably riddled with as much holes as swiss cheese.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
The reason why no argument for a necessary being can work is because ALL of them must make a question-begging ontological commitment.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(April 20, 2014 at 6:56 am)Metalogos Wrote: Everything we see in the natural world has a beginning and an end.

Let's focus on this for a second ...

Your statement is true within (inside of) natural world, World (or Universe, be that one only or Multiverse) can just exist, forever and ever, easily, without contradicting your statement Cool Shades
Why Won't God Heal Amputees ? 

Oči moje na ormaru stoje i gledaju kako sarma kipi  Tongue
Fifth Element-"Let's focus on this for a second ...
Your statement is true within (inside of) natural world, World (or Universe, be that one only or Multiverse) can just exist, forever and ever, easily, without contradicting your statement Cool Shades"

Dear FE,
I am interested in keeping the argument fixed in the natural world as that is the only one that we can access with our senses and test our hypotheses against. But even so, I don't understand the reasoning behind your posit. My statement is that everything has a beginning and and end. Yours is that it is possible for a world/universe to go on existing without end. How can you say there is no contradiction between these two statements?
(April 21, 2014 at 10:52 am)Metalogos Wrote: I am interested in keeping the argument fixed in the natural world as that is the only one that we can access with our senses and test our hypotheses against.
But asking us to consider a first cause is also going "outside" our natural universe. Unless you're implying this first cause exists inside our universe, in which case it would also be bound to the beginning/end laws of our universe.

So either way, an eternal universe or a first cause of our universe is not going to stay within the realm of our known universe.
Just one, I think. Therefore it is me. But I assume the rest of you are just as real and can boast the same.

As for the prime mover thingy .. no way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11135 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7210 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13437 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can anyone please refute these verses of Quran (or at least their interpretations)? despair1 34 6098 April 24, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  "I can't see the wishom behind babies dying from cancer" is argument from ignorance ReptilianPeon 16 4138 December 7, 2015 at 1:06 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  I'm God. What evidence do I need to provide? robvalue 297 28014 November 16, 2015 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Can I be sued for saving someone's life? Yes I can Dystopia 25 5278 July 14, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  If we can't criticize Islam in the West, where can it be criticized? TheMessiah 29 7765 May 10, 2015 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Was it necessary to create anything? ReptilianPeon 72 9405 April 6, 2015 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Prove the bible is unnecessary, atheist / Prove it is necessary, theists MusicLovingAtheist 18 4755 September 20, 2014 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger