Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was wondering about religion in America
I was wondering about religion in America
I'm English, where its more or less okay to be a non believer, or at least people aren't all that interested. It's clear that the same cannot be said about vast swathes of the USA. I was wondering if there is such a thing as closet atheists. I mean, is it a phenomenon or is it ok to admit your Godlessness?
And I hear atheism is on the rise over there. Is that true?
RE: I was wondering about religion in America
Personally I've never had a problem as an Atheist here.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Yes hon, there a LOTS of closet atheists here. And yes more, and more people under 30 r giving religion the ideological finger!
Atheism is on the rise because logic yo.
In the bible belt USA it is hazardous to your career to profess Atheism. You will be discriminated.
Oh, sure, there are lots of closet atheists. If you look around the forum, you'll see stories of people afraid to tell their family lest they be disowned. I've never experienced anything personally, but I don't go around advertising it, either. Most people will just assume you believe in god if the subject never comes up. I think most people that spend enough time around me, however, know due to off-hand comments I will make.

It is bad enough, though, that you never know who will freak out when they find out you don't believe in god, so it's pragmatic just to not mention it.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I managed to come out to my immediate family, and a few friends, though I don't have an atheist shirt, or an atheist car tag, or anything like that. I just think I'm lucky that my parents aren't the deeply religious ones, so coming out was easier.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(April 25, 2014 at 9:41 pm)nogodchick Wrote: And I hear atheism is on the rise over there. Is that true?

Yes but we're still in the minority for now and in "red states" (more conservative areas), it's a good idea for free thinkers to stay in the closet.

We were discussing on another thread why America is such an anomaly among 1st world countries with our 3rd world level of piety. This seems especially strange to me when I think of how we were founded as a secular nation with a strict separation of Church and State.

The theory I proposed on this other thread is that the Separation of Church and State ironically created an environment in which the religions with the greatest popular appeal would prosper while the dreary ones would die off. State religions are provided for, so there isn't as much pressure on the official faith to reinvent itself to appeal to the public.

Another explanation is that Christianity and patriotism were artificially intertwined during the Cold War. Communism and "godlessness" were closely associated with one another.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
I live in a red state Sad

I told everyone I know successfully and there were some casualties, yes. Like my dad thinks he's a failure of a parent. My mom constantly tells me about jesus now whereas she didn't. And.. my brother told me I'll end up a drunken puke slathered corpse on the side of the road one day (I don't drink). But he apologized and now it's all good Big Grin

But yes people talk to you mostly in the assumption that you believe in god. I just nod and promote positivity!
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(April 25, 2014 at 11:37 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Yes but we're still in the minority for now and in "red states" (more conservative areas), it's a good idea for free thinkers to stay in the closet.

Bullshit! It's never the best policy to not stand up for what you believe in. People's ideas of Atheists will never change until they realize that Atheists are perfectly normal people. You don't have to be a dick about it, but it's always best to be open if people ask and if you aren't a dick or a pussy about it, people will respect you. More importantly you will respect yourself.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Living in America's South... mlmooney89 33 2525 June 7, 2016 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Teen in America ;-; ObliviousCat 18 2209 April 26, 2015 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
Question New Atheist, depressed, and wondering how to cope with reality. IanHulett 56 10506 February 21, 2015 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  America is Tragically Soul-Sick NathanHawks 21 3162 January 12, 2015 at 4:32 am
Last Post: NathanHawks
  I am new to the forums, but not to wondering what the neighbors drank... ParCutz 35 6566 August 21, 2013 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ParCutz